A Question Regarding The Future of IPMS Chapters in the Age of Covid.

cheveuxroux

Per recent news reports, I expect federal, state and local regulations  regarding Covid-19 and it's mutations to control gatherings of people for the foreseeable future despite the promise of vaccines.

I am a registered geezer ; sez so on my property tax bill. 

and most of the IPMS local members that I have known since the early 1970s are at least a decade or more older and fall into the most at risk category.

Generally, chapters held meetings in public buildings and were able to recruit as well as obtain funds via local contests.

I just checked the website of one of my local Chicago area chapters and note that there is no mention of any potential meetings for this year due to Covid.

I am presuming that the financial may be more of a problem without local contests - while the minimum number of members should not be a problem unless dues from all members cannot cover chapter financial commitments. 

My question is this:

What is the minimum required ( financial payments to IPMS National  and number of members ) for a chapter to maintain it's status as an official IPMS USA Chapter?

• 2 months later...

Does IPMS USA charge 30 bucks to set up a branch/chapter?    Didn't know that.

Regarding Covid, I expect that local IPMS meetings and model shows worldwide will bounce back when we all return  to some sort of normality.

Edited by noelsmith

• 4 weeks later...

Dave, thanks for explaining. It is interesting to see how IPMS operates in different countries.

I think that IPMS UK insurance for shows that any British branch puts on and of course SMW Telford must be done at exec level and is part of each member's subscription, as no separate charge is levied at branch (chapter) level.

Hi Noel:

The blanket insurance helps. All you do is contact the National office with a date and venue and the insurance company issues a certificate as needed. Depends on state and location how much but we cover them. IN a normal year, there are 80-100 IPMS shows including the regional and national. Of course, we have a lot more square miles to cover than the UK too. 

I do remember several cases where the insurance was used too I believe

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Here in Arizona, in person chapter meetings are resuming this month. The last meeting that they had was the day that I moved here in March of last year. So now I get to be the new kid in town.