AMT 1991 Chevrolet 454 SS

These trucks have always been an interest of mine as they were a sleek looking truck with an out with an "in your face" and bold appearance. Although not fast by any means with 230 horsepower, they were aggressive looking, were among the fastest O.E.M. trucks out there at the time and they set the stage for the muscle trucks that followed in the years to come. It took me around 5 months to complete this one with most of the challenges being paint and the ending assembly of installing the body onto the frame. With a few pitfalls to work around it was a good kit to work with overall.

Very nice job. Keep on building those models.

Have a nice day.

David Von Almen, Gentleman Modeler in Paradise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dave and Mark!! I appreciate the comments fellas.

Mark: Yes sir-both were made from scratch. The wires were made from wire from Lex's Scale Modeling. I cut small diameter wire and used the insulation as the spark plug wire boots. Brake lines were formed and made from solder.

The engine:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Bravo for another one of your awesome motors Joe! 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Dave and Mark!! I appreciate the comments fellas.

Mark: Yes sir-both were made from scratch. The wires were made from wire from Lex's Scale Modeling. I cut small diameter wire and used the insulation as the spark plug wire boots. Brake lines were formed and made from solder.

The engine:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ok one more question, how did you achieve the "cast iron" look on the exhaust manifold?

20 hours ago, Rusty White said:

I can never get the finish on my models to look that nice and "wet".  Well done.

Thanks Rusty. It took me a while to get my method down. 

3 hours ago, Stikpusher said:

Bravo for another one of your awesome motors Joe! 

Thanks Carlos!!! 

3 hours ago, MWS said:

Ok one more question, how did you achieve the "cast iron" look on the exhaust manifold?

Hey Mark. If you're talking about the raised grainy texture, that was molded into the manifold. The cast iron "look" was achieved by black basing the manifolds and then spraying a very light coat of aluminum Alclad over the black. Just enough to where there is light coverage. Too much and it won't come out right and it'll look "toy like". 

Edited by mustang1989
  • Thanks 1