Revell 1966 GTO

MWS

Got this kit for Christmas in 2019.  I built it but was not happy with the paint job. It looked like I painted it with a crayon.  So after my last project, I took it apart and sanded it down to body in white.  Original paint job was Testors acrylic blue.  The new color is 1 part Tamiya flat aluminum, 1 part Tamiya flat white, 1 part Tamiya nato black, and 1 part Tamiya thinner.  The resulting color, which my wife approved, was compounded then waxed.  I will include a pic of the original paint job.

PXL_20210129_182919034.jpg

PXL_20210129_233847293.jpg

PXL_20210129_234012587.jpg

PXL_20210130_000201075.jpg

• Like 1

Mark,

The Goat looks great. Nice choice for the color. 

I am working on several projects at once so I have something in the works while other stuff dries. Maybe I will get around to posting a few pictures one day.

Have a nice day and keep building.

David Von Almen, Gentleman Modeler in Paradise

That paint turned out pretty dang good Mark!! You can tell that you really put alot of work into that!! 

On your next one if you wanna bring the shine up just a tad more you can wet sand it using 4000 then 6000 then 8000 and lastly 12000 grit fine finishing sandpaper.  This process will get rid of any remaining traces of orange peel or surface irregularities in the paint. Be sure to cut the sanding paper into 1" squares and apply light pressure paying attention not to spend a whole lot of time to the corners, raised surfaces or details. Spending too much time sanding these areas will result in burning through the paint. After that wash it under cold water with a mild soap and after drying polish the whole body with Novus 2 plastic polish. Bring plenty of patience to the table and you'll be amazed at the outcome. 

Clear coats help immensely with a shine but we'll get to that later. 

15 hours ago, dvonalmen said:

Mark,

The Goat looks great. Nice choice for the color. 

I am working on several projects at once so I have something in the works while other stuff dries. Maybe I will get around to posting a few pictures one day.

Have a nice day and keep building.

David Von Almen, Gentleman Modeler in Paradise

Thank you David, can't wait to see...

13 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

That paint turned out pretty dang good Mark!! You can tell that you really put alot of work into that!! 

On your next one if you wanna bring the shine up just a tad more you can wet sand it using 4000 then 6000 then 8000 and lastly 12000 grit fine finishing sandpaper.  This process will get rid of any remaining traces of orange peel or surface irregularities in the paint. Be sure to cut the sanding paper into 1" squares and apply light pressure paying attention not to spend a whole lot of time to the corners, raised surfaces or details. Spending too much time sanding these areas will result in burning through the paint. After that wash it under cold water with a mild soap and after drying polish the whole body with Novus 2 plastic polish. Bring plenty of patience to the table and you'll be amazed at the outcome. 

Clear coats help immensely with a shine but we'll get to that later. 

Thanks, Joseph.  that Maverick you did was the inspiration for the repaint.  my next project is a 71-73 bronco let's see how that goes.

Glad to hear that you took the challenge of improvement. It was that way for me in 2014 when I turned out my first auto build in decades. I wanted to master the gloss finish and by pure dumb luck I did it on the first try. No wet sanding, no polishing....nuthin'. It would be three more years of chasing that finish that I would be able to duplicate it again however. I found out that wet sanding in addition to polishing is what achieves consistent results. If you need any help along the way I'll be more than happy to assist.