Jump to content

Testors Italeri 1/35 M47 Patton, Cold War, USAREUR


Recommended Posts

And the painting begins. Today I airbrushed on a coat of gray Tamiya primer overall followed by Tamiya white primer on the areas that will be white. I’ll let it dry overnite, then start actual painting tomorrow.

3650-DBE5-6-F85-4-AE9-9100-FE4-A283-E291

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve got all the base colors on the power pack now. Just need a wash and then I can install it and get the hull assembly completed.

3-F5-D9-E83-8-DF6-4-BC3-B08-D-8876-E9-D5

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wash on and cleaned up, then power pack installed.

F57-C137-B-EA46-431-C-9040-111-BBD93-E29

and what will be visible.... 

F6-ED2646-FEFF-427-D-8-BB1-2-FD771-F5-DA

Time to get this one moving forward past this stage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I got the upper hull glued in place. Starting to look like a tank now!

CE46-AE12-98-B6-48-FF-8-B43-E761-F1929-F

4943-B571-C964-471-E-9-A48-567419025630.

 I need to deal with one seam on the bottom rear and then I can add all of the last little bits to complete the hull

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Back in the saddle on this one today

I added the small bits to the rear of the hull

3788-BDF4-DD66-4-B04-9-C1-A-66-D4-EDF85-

and began adding the small bits to the front of the hull

2363-BAB3-BDF4-4-AF3-9-CF8-B27-DF8-FF11-

Not much longer until hull construction is done...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally finished all the basic construction on the hull. It was pointed out to me elsewhere that the hull attachment point for the rear fender braces was inaccurate. So I modified them to look more like the real thing.

831-E1035-6-EEF-4663-A078-6935-AC7586-D3

8253612-A-5-A06-4-F6-E-A967-F8-C5-DE6-B6

And I added all of the little bits to the front of the hull

09548650-0396-4-F86-B063-580-B2-C43383-A

Now I just need to add the cast armor texturing and casting marks to the hull

Link to post
Share on other sites

Small progress on the turret. Over the past few days I assembled the main gun, sanded the seams smooth then installed it into the turret bottom


1-D597-F9-B-2154-49-E7-85-EF-41-C310-AC6

And today I airbrushed the turret interior white...

4-E30315-C-0-FC4-4-D98-8819-8189-AAD8-BE

I just need to paint the breech block steel, sand off the paint on the surfaces to be glued, and assemble the turret halves... then this will start looking like a TANK!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I just had to forge ahead this morning....

Breech block painted steel. Not sure if it’s accurate or not for the M47, but I like the look, and I’ve seen it before on other types. Besides, the turret hatches will be closed and no one will see it...

A828-FCBF-234-D-4674-BA85-D6-A8-E86-AA46

Then I glued the upper and lower turret halves together

B8-B616-CD-EC3-E-40-B7-9-F8-F-F85-E41686

and well, I just had to fit it on the hull

1-CAF494-F-C2-DB-44-C5-AEC2-8079050-D0-B

Now it looks like a tank!

Next up, adding all the little bits to the turret before the cast armor texturing

Link to post
Share on other sites

So more work on the turret this week. Firstly I puttied up the points where the cargo rails attach, since I won’t be using the kit parts. I also added some very thin rod styrene along the seam line where the turret halves go together to replicate the weld seam on the real turret. Today I sanded the putty smooth and using some “hotter” plastic cement and my finger nail to texture the weld seam bead.

EC8-C7165-6056-4-B66-A7-EE-A2-B5-F496574

F1-FA8732-6-FAA-4358-8-B69-0-BB72356-D0-

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I added on the early style grab rails on the turret sides using parts from my spares bin.

C4689-D8-D-959-A-4-CBD-8-BB5-FFFEACEBBA3

D565-F714-E51-A-4794-A0-A1-F96022-D3-B22

Now I just need to add the rod frame type guards on the commander’s and gunner’s sights and the backdating of the turret will be completed. Next up, cast armor texture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A little more progress to post. Over on Armorama, it was pointed out to me that the turrets had some external “dimples” welded into the armor where the gun trunnions attach to the turret sides. So I cut some small pieces of tube styrene and glued them into the appropriate spots

1-CBA8188-77-E6-4-D5-D-AB9-C-724-A466608

Then I sanded them to a more scale thickness, doused them with liquid cement, and gave a bit of weld texture around the edges with a toothpick.

09-CA1-C2-D-CB31-4364-977-F-A11931-D9242

Now I can proceed to adding the cast armor texture where needed... nearly all of the turret and much of the front and rear hull...

Edited by Stikpusher
Link to post
Share on other sites

One more update- I finished adding the cast armor texture a bit more rapidly than I thought that I would using Mr Surfacer and a Microbrush. 

7-F6-A2-D31-446-E-46-C8-823-A-4597-E629-

88-A0-CD04-8116-4-A17-AF33-F394-BB386856

and a couple close ups

61-EDEB23-69-C1-4165-B5-C5-15-AE790-AA3-

145-C61-CC-4005-475-A-80-E1-317-CAFBA752

it should look good under a coat of paint...

This will be my last update on this until next week. Have plans for the weekend, so I won’t get any bench time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the back dating of the kit is now complete. I added the wire cage style brush guards to the commander’s and gunner’s periscopes, modified the sledge to reverse its positioning, and then added the hatch handles, rangefinder housing lifting eyes, and rear turret stowage bin. 

F7-F77709-2543-4-FA2-8-B57-A461-DE706080

069369-EC-0-C50-45-A9-B3-AC-39-B7-A36360

53124-CCD-7-B93-4-EA5-A50-E-4705-D6-DA32


All I need to do now is add the mantlet dust cover and armor foundry casting marks

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...