Jump to content

1/48 Monogram Sopwith Camel F.1 WIP


Recommended Posts

Awhile back, a friend of mine on another site proposed to do a buddy build with me of a pair of WWI Dogfight opponents. He wanted to build a Fokker Dr.I. So my entry into this buddy build is a Sopwith Camel. It only seems natural to oppose the Fokker Dr.I when he first proposed this buddy build of duelist biplanes awhile back.

 

D4624-EE1-1006-4-DF4-9-CDD-770-CC03-F034

 

I have had the old Monogram issue of the classic Aurora kit in my stash and had been pondering building it for awhile. My friend’s idea of a buddy build was the kick in the pants needed to get this one from an abstract concept into something of an actual plan. The next step was to get other projects wrapped up so that I could give this build the attention that it deserves. 

 

I had the kit

 

ACF40-E1-A-9018-4219-9-F36-3-F6-D5-B769-

 

and a set of decals

 

91-F4-F8-D0-61-E4-41-A4-B66-C-C8179-B002

 

Off of the decal set I selected this particular subject aircraft.

 

C9-BCF96-C-9-CE5-4109-BBB4-BF038-EE24-F9

 

With a new year, and now all previous builds on my bench wrapped up, it was time to start.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Last night I began construction. Actually though it was mostly just paint work.

 

First I took a razor saw along the seat to give it some texture to suggest that of the wicker seats actually used. Once painted and with a wash it should look more the part.

 

37-F833-BC-1-E18-44-FF-BA4-E-52-A26-DBB2

 

Then I painted up other cockpit components, and the interior of the fuselage halves. Just getting the base colors on for now. I’m not gonna use the kit pilot, so behind the seat is a glaring empty space. I searched thru my spares/salvaged parts and came up with a fuel tank to fill the void. It somewhat resembles the real thing. I’m not going for 100% accuracy, just stuff to suggest what should be there. I’m sure that must sound like blasphemy to some modelers.

 

44178062-7-ADC-4-A29-B1-C0-F7-FB086929-B

 

60-A0-F345-5-B86-4-D2-F-B326-152-E487-E5

 

I’ll get to work on detail painting and washes over the next few days, plus whatever mods I intend to scratch up for the cockpit. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today’s update. Lots of painting and drilling and sanding and measuring & cutting... and not much gluing. So here we go.

First up, I was not happy with the filler points on the top deck behind the cockpit, so I drilled those out.

ED875-A87-ABE4-4-F20-8612-4-EE9-A2-F6137

06-E86435-6-C3-F-4-AF4-AD90-4-F86-A504-E

Before and after

Then I repainted the cockpit floor based off some photos of preserved Camels. Different custom shade of wood that I mixed up compared to the sidewalls

A3275869-964-A-4-B08-8315-A0-D7-EAB53-D5

Then I modified the salvaged fuel tank into the piece affair that the real one had. Not to mention lots of sanding to get it to fit into the fuselage behind the pilot seat. I also painted the seat cushion and edging, again based off of photos of Museum Camels

0-FF7-F4-D2-5-F77-49-C2-A73-C-21155-C75-

6-ABFA445-D3-F6-4057-896-E-B363-CCA99-E8

And lastly, base colors finished on the IP and control yoke, plus I scratch built up a rudder bar with control linkage rods, again based off of Museum Camels

7-CF4509-B-E389-4-CD8-A365-D5-BFBB7-BA96

A bit more stuff to do like instrument decals, washes and perhaps an attempt at wood grain before I can put it all together.

Until the next update...

8-BB6-B6-A6-2-B04-4587-B7-D7-A7-E5-AC5-E

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent start on that very old molding! I've been alternating building older Aurora biplanes and the newer Roden and Eduard kits....while the new ones have more detailing and are more to scale, their engineering SUCKS compared to the old kits! At least the struts will fit on that Sopwith you're building! Looking forward to more!

Gil :smiley16:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Gil. I haven’t had the stones to try a new tool WWI kit yet. Although I do have several of those in my stash. I want more experience before I start working on the new tool kits.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today’s update: I took a shot at using oils for a wood grain appearance.
First step, I mixed up a brown shade and then applied it over the interior wood surface areas

86-AF3-D5-C-BCF4-4568-BA1-C-D864-E6-BD0-

Next step I used a thinner moistened brush to remove much of the oil paint and leave a streaking that resembles wood grain

B568625-C-5906-4-FC9-9902-52-E2-F80-C723

The final look... any resemblance to actual wood grain is more luck than anything else. 

792194-E0-4-FC8-4-CEB-BC19-3-A11297-EDA2

This technique is actually going to take lots of practice to get a handle on it.

8-BB6-B6-A6-2-B04-4587-B7-D7-A7-E5-AC5-E

Link to post
Share on other sites

One small update from yesterday’s work:
I forgot to get a better shot to show the sidewall wood grain effort

3-CA07-E06-7-E4-A-4-AB4-9466-E7-DAED2164

and now that the oil wash on the engine has dried and I do not need to worry about it staining my photo booth, here’s a photo of the engine

C050856-E-487-B-4043-A927-EAAF61-D21985.


8-BB6-B6-A6-2-B04-4587-B7-D7-A7-E5-AC5-E

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...