Jump to content

Sherman tank diorama/ Bravo 6 FURY crew


Recommended Posts

     All,to

           Finally back at the work bench. I had to take some time off because of hand surgery. ALL IS GOOD NOW. I have not built many tank diorama's. I was able to get some honest feed back on the Siege of Bastogne diorama that I did a few weeks ago. Areas that I could improve on, and the overall layout of a good diorama that is not to busy. I've decided to condense this next one down to include two tanks, and two crew, meeting at a cross roads. The Tamiya kit is ready for paint and assembly. I need to start on the ASUKA Sherman some time next week

         The Bravo 6 FURY crew was painted with Tamiya paints. The only change to the figures were the addition of tanker helmets, straps for the goggles, and communication cords.

 

Chris

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to enjoy following this one!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

All

       Back at it. The Sherman that is going to be built as the "Fury" tank, came with the wrong type track. I've not built track by individual links before. After pulling up the You Tube video for these bad boys, I'm excited to get started. There was quite a bit of gear to paint for two tanks. The logs turned out better than I thought they would. The MRE boxes (Cardboard) were interesting to assemble. All of the crew-serve weapons were painted with Master Model Gun metal(lacquer, not enamel) After they dried, I dry brushed silver to accent wear. Had a lot of decals to apply to put on all the ammo boxes. It was worth it in the end.  

    I've switched over to mostly acrylic paints now. I wish I would have some time ago. I love working with them. I've been able to get some good results. I've illustrated below,  the process I use each and every time I paint with them. Step 1. Primer, Step 2. Paint color. Step 3. Apply the color wash you want. (In my case, I use either brown, or black). Let them dry completely. Step 4. Take a q-tip,soaking one tip, in mineral spirits, roll it between your fingers to remove excess. Wipe the painted part, removing the wash from the high areas. Let dry. Step 5. Dry brush the highlighted areas with the color of your choice. For me, I use silver enamel to highlight metal items, and artist oils (Winsor & Newton Naples yellow hue) for cloth items. Hope this helps someone. 

 

Chris

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice work on the stowage. Just a clarification point, but WWII US rations were C-Rations and K-Rations, not MREs. MREs did not come out until the early 80s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get it about the name. Old habits and names die hard. I was around during the transition from the C’s to MREs. And for twenty some odd years after that... lol!

Was that you 30 years ago?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice Chris! Once upon a time in a land far far away... By the markings on the Bradley, I was wondering if you were with 3rd ACR. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

          I've decided to add another tank to the diorama. 3 tanks in total. All three crews are now completed. I've got two extra figures that I will incorporate some where in it. The Fury crew is all Bravo 6 figures. The other two crews, are a mix between Tamiya, and MiniArt. The Tamiya crew is the latest release (to my knowledge) of a WW2 tank crew. The MiniArt figures have some interesting poses. It took some time to clean these up. I choose not to use the heads. I replaced them with Tamiya, Dragon, and Alpine heads.   All the crew serve weapons, along with the stowage, have been divided up between the three. The Tamiya M4A3E8 Sherman is primed, and ready for paint. I just started the Asuka M4A3 Sherman today. My wife bought me the RFM M4A3 Sherman two weeks ago. This one will be built for the "Fury"crew. I plan on building somewhat of a compact diorama. 

Chris

1b.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

This just keeps on getting better! I’m loving all that you’re showing here so far Bradley. 👍🏼

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking very sharp Chris! Can’t wait to see the next two.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

                 This is my first time building an Asuka model. This is their M4A3. Very impressed with the level of detail. Especially the 50 cals. The assembly of the bogies took some time. (Lots of parts). The one area that was a problem, was the housings for the idler wheel attachment point (C34, and C35). You insert the idler wheel arms (C25) into C34, and C35. When I went to attach the wheel, both housings cracked in half. This was a big pain to fix. Had to use super glue and baking soda to fix it. Lastly, I am using acrylics now(Tamiya). I was a big fan of the Testor Model Master line. The two accent colors you see below, is what I used as a wash. (on the entire tank) Black first, then brown. I then took a q-tip with mineral spirits to remove the wash in certain areas. After everything was dry, I lightly dry brushed Naples Yellow Hue on the high points.

               If your into Sherman Tanks, I would highly recommend this kit.

Chris

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks very sharp! All the guys at So Cal AMPS who have built the Tasha/Asuka Shermans say that those are the best 1/35 M4 kits on the market. Although the Rye Field kits may be vying for the top spot now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...