Dragon 1/35 M46, Korea 1951, Operation Ripper

Stikpusher

I built this for a Group Build project with So. Cal. AMPS. Our chapter is making the whole Patton tank family. This is the Dragon M46 kit in the markings of 6th Tank Battalion during Operation Ripper in Korea, Spring 1951.These are probably the most colorful unit markings worn in combat by any tank unit. I modified the kit by repositioning some turret external fittings, leaving off the turret right side stowage rack, adding some turret grab rails, a left side stowage rack on the fender, and a .30 cal. Browning based upon photos of the units tanks in Korea. Paints used are Mission Models and Humbrol for the main colors. Towage items are from my stash and spares bin.

10462-F18-2454-4017-B816-5305-FBA92-C63.

CE826-D9-A-90-CF-411-F-A2-F4-7-D0184477-

F2-B3-D0-F2-79-FC-449-D-AE49-AB6953432-B

67-D2-A8-D6-1651-416-A-8803-F199-FC18-A4

4-BB54-D25-723-D-4-C4-E-B094-994-ED66-EB

I still need to finish the TC figure and come up with a base for this one.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good job!  I like that you didn't overdo the weathering.  So many armor modelers fall into the current/popular trap of overdoing the chipping/rusting/washes/etc. that their finished models look like refugees from a 60 year old junkyard. 

Thank you Rick. I know exactly what you mean about some of the current weathering trends/fads. The artistic school makes an armor build look like a range target hulk and not an operational vehicle. I base my finishes of of photos, and what I came across in 24 years of service around US Army vehicles. Rusting and chipping is minimal in my personal experience on operational vehicles. It does happen, but some modelers get carried away. Washes? Well vehicles do fade and get dirty so just put it in proper context. Some vehicles have a very short service life of weeks or months at most. Others serve for years and years, and show that wear. And of course, some owners don’t care for their equipment as well as a modern western army does. Think Taliban as opposed to the Bundeswehr.