Mosquito build progress

I wanted to post progress photos of my build of the Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito.  It would be great to read comments on how I can improve.  Several photos were posted in the “techniques“ forum where i received very productive comments and i have put an aircraft weathering how-to book and some weathering products on my wishlist for Xmas.

There is a specific issue that i wanted to discuss (although there is nothing i can do about it now).  The wheel/tire assembly consisted of many pieces in order to mimic the flat spot at ground contact.  I took great care in putting all of it together.  However, when I mounted the nacelle to the wing/fuselage, i was very disappointed to find out that the flat spot on the tire is not flush with the surface.  You have to get down and close to see it but there is definitely a triangle of light that shouldn’t be there.  If anyone out there built this model i would love to hear wether you also had any issue with this detail?

thanks for looking!

Stuart

8ED7D419-D20C-4F9F-B753-A82E52555D5B.jpeg

FC1BFE6B-66EC-42EF-B59F-34AC620D0A37.jpeg

01C2A0AD-D492-4626-A71F-BE523402CACA.jpeg

E2A21489-3AB3-438B-A2A0-AC91CC1E50B2.jpeg

6F9C5520-EA65-4056-927B-95F24E360EAA.jpeg

86B9E8D0-33A5-4AC6-B915-C4AA3D372079.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice progress and excellent detail painting! Getting the flat spot perfectly aligned can be tough....but it sounds like some slight sanding might change the angle of the flat spot just enough to eliminate that sliver of light you saw. The only other suggestion I can make is that for future builds, try not to glue the tire in place without also at the same time test fitting it and the entire gear leg assembly to the wing so you know the tire's in the correct "spot". On a tire like the Mosquito's, you might even be able to leave it loose in place until setting it on it's gear, and then add a spot of super glue to the hub/axle to cement it in position. All in all, it's a very minor thing, and shouldn't detract at all from those lovely details!

Gil :smiley16:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, they will be well heeded in the future.

This is the first model (my fourth in total) that required such an elaborate (at least in number of pieces) construction of a wheel/tire.  I actually enjoyed it as the pieces fit so nicely and the paint filled the joints so I was quite happy with the result.  I am anxious but patient to see this model finished.  It’s too bad you have to lift it up all the time to see the really cool details 😀

Stuart 

This is one you might want to display on a mirror base to show off all that underside detail. 

Looking very beautiful so far!