Mosquito build progress

StuartMont

I wanted to post progress photos of my build of the Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito.  It would be great to read comments on how I can improve.  Several photos were posted in the “techniques“ forum where i received very productive comments and i have put an aircraft weathering how-to book and some weathering products on my wishlist for Xmas.

There is a specific issue that i wanted to discuss (although there is nothing i can do about it now).  The wheel/tire assembly consisted of many pieces in order to mimic the flat spot at ground contact.  I took great care in putting all of it together.  However, when I mounted the nacelle to the wing/fuselage, i was very disappointed to find out that the flat spot on the tire is not flush with the surface.  You have to get down and close to see it but there is definitely a triangle of light that shouldn’t be there.  If anyone out there built this model i would love to hear wether you also had any issue with this detail?

thanks for looking!

Stuart

8ED7D419-D20C-4F9F-B753-A82E52555D5B.jpeg

FC1BFE6B-66EC-42EF-B59F-34AC620D0A37.jpeg

01C2A0AD-D492-4626-A71F-BE523402CACA.jpeg

E2A21489-3AB3-438B-A2A0-AC91CC1E50B2.jpeg

6F9C5520-EA65-4056-927B-95F24E360EAA.jpeg

86B9E8D0-33A5-4AC6-B915-C4AA3D372079.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice progress and excellent detail painting! Getting the flat spot perfectly aligned can be tough....but it sounds like some slight sanding might change the angle of the flat spot just enough to eliminate that sliver of light you saw. The only other suggestion I can make is that for future builds, try not to glue the tire in place without also at the same time test fitting it and the entire gear leg assembly to the wing so you know the tire's in the correct "spot". On a tire like the Mosquito's, you might even be able to leave it loose in place until setting it on it's gear, and then add a spot of super glue to the hub/axle to cement it in position. All in all, it's a very minor thing, and shouldn't detract at all from those lovely details!

Gil :smiley16:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, they will be well heeded in the future.

This is the first model (my fourth in total) that required such an elaborate (at least in number of pieces) construction of a wheel/tire.  I actually enjoyed it as the pieces fit so nicely and the paint filled the joints so I was quite happy with the result.  I am anxious but patient to see this model finished.  It’s too bad you have to lift it up all the time to see the really cool details 😀

Stuart 

This is one you might want to display on a mirror base to show off all that underside detail. 

Looking very beautiful so far! 

• 1 month later...

Here is the finished product sitting on a mirror base as suggested here.  Difficulties still include the application of decals and the hand painting of very large surfaces.  The thickness of my coatings are noticeably different.  Question - how many of you apply the “hundreds” of tiny decals?1BEABF92-38E2-421E-895E-544CC02E44A1.thumb.jpeg.cb5a575c9c90a607398a653fb2cdafd4.jpegF5DC1C0C-E843-482E-994D-E2851762D507.thumb.jpeg.35897c9e120ce07dd320ffd2894e0dcb.jpegBE5F981D-1849-48C6-A041-F23A61277081.thumb.jpeg.7bc8202ef3d6e7e7078d7cba2d3d8557.jpegCE1923D2-DCE7-4518-945A-BF733FC16C81.thumb.jpeg.d2fcb97d2d15fd2a32ba8d35d6d2b482.jpeg

• Like 1

Beautiful job! I am most impressed with this model!

I will only apply most of the stencils that can actually be seen. Anything else that looks like a smudge or out-of-place dot of paint will stay off as I invariably paint over them thinking they are flaws in the finish. LOL! Anything that looks like a stencil of information that enhances the look of the model goes on.

Thanks for the kind words, i really enjoyed this one.  

Decals continue to be frustrating for me.  They went on nicely when I built the Corsair but not so much on this one.  I have to start trying the solutions that are sold at hobby stores but I don’t see how that will help the tiny ones.

One thing for sure is I’m having a great time trying. My goal is too have one plane from all of the major wars, all at the same scale.  WWI and Korea need to be filled in.

That is a very well detailed build Stuart. Great work!!! 

Tamiya decals have a reputation for being way too thick and hard to work with so I can see where they were a source of frustration on this one. Aftermarket decals such as EagleCals or Peddinghaus are alot thinner and alot easier to work with.

Thanks very much, I worked really hard on doing this one.  I will definitely look into the decals you noted.

I’m working on the F-16 next so that’s where i will focus my search.

Stuart

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StuartMont said:

Thanks very much, I worked really hard on doing this one.  I will definitely look into the decals you noted.

I’m working on the F-16 next so that’s where i will focus my search.

Stuart

I haven't built an F-16 since I was a kid but I've always wanted a crack at a 1/48 scale kit of it. I'll be looking for your thread.

Good looking build! Brush painting without getting it too thick or leaving brush marks is always a problem. My suggestion, if you continue in this method, is simply to do some VERY LIGHT sanding of the overall paint finish once it dries. Use the 1000 or higher grit wet/dry type, and WET sand all of the surface with a LIGHT touch....using just enough pressure to take off the very top "extra" layers of paint. This will (hopefully) make the paints all look "level" and remove some of the brush strokes. With luck, it may even add a touch of a weathered look to the finish.

After you get the camo where you want it, then brush on a coat of Future (now Pledge all purpose) clear acrylic. This will further give a more even look to you paint surfaces AND also provide a smooth surface for your decals and help avoid silvering. Once the decals are on and dry, seal them with another coat of clear gloss.

To get the final flat finish, spray it with a can of Testors Dull Coat, or Tamiya clear flat. BUT, be sure when you spray the flat that ALL clear parts are masked off, or they'll get "dull" too!

That's a great looking Mosquito and the presentation on the mirror is the icing on the cake! Congrats, and thanks for letting us ride along!

Gil :smiley16:

I really appreciate the kind words and most of all the patience with my incessant need to ask for clarification on provided responses.  Per usual I will print out the responses providing experienced insight and recommendations to my ever thickening notebook.  Once I had the opportunity to restart this hobby the best thing I did was join this organization and post on these forums.

I am very happy with the Mosquito.  I got very excited when I found a YouTube video with the exact paint scheme I chose for this one.  What a beautiful plane and I think I did it justice.

As I noted I am starting on the 1/32 F-16 and already ran into issues with the engine needing advice from you folks.  Those questions I posted to the “tips . . .“ forum.

Stuart