USS Florida, SSGN 728

BWScholten

After a lengthy break in modelling I was able to start again.  Thought I'd do something easy, so I took my USS Ohio off the shelf of doom and started working on it again.  I decided I wanted to convert it to a SSGN and went with the USS Florida (the only Ohio class to fire shots in anger).

Aftermarket prop from G-factor, Nameplate, stand, Dry Dock Shelter and SEAL Delivery Vehicles via Shapeways, and 7 shot rocket launcher ends from the Testors NATO Armament set.

More challenging then I thought, but she is finished.

2020-11-18_09-42-50

• Like 2

She looks good! Got any more photos of her?

Very nice job on the model.  Excellent work on finishing a decent kit.  Nice touch to add the after market propeller.  

I have a set of 3D printer propellers on order from “Mulsannemike”.  He has created a series of very accurate propellers.  These include Ohio class, Sturgeon J- propellers, and 3 variants for the different LosAngeles class submarines.

Florida was never in combat.  She was an early Ohio class SSBN conducting deterrent patrols with Trident ballistic missiles for many years.  She was one of a handful of SSBNs that were converted to SSGN, with her Trident missile tubes refitted with multiple launchers for Tomahawk cruise missiles.  Each tube holds multiple Tomahawk cruise missile, allowing a massive launch capability.  Two of the tubes were also converted to Special Forces lock out chambers.  A deck hanger for Seal Delivery Vehicles was also fitted.  

As these SSGNs age and reach end of life, they are planned to be replaced by newer Virginia class submarines (Block V) with a midship multi mission module that will hold cruise missiles.

Apparently USS Florida fired 93 TLAMs during Operation Odyssey Dawn against targets in Libya in 2011. Not exactly high risk combat, and questionable about the shots being fired “in anger”, but they were war shots, and likely did cause casualties beyond mere property damage. And 93 is a LOT of missiles from one launch platform.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...