Academy 1/35 M151A1 ***COMPLETED***

Stikpusher

Thanks Joe. It’s getting there.

• Like 1

Today’s update, wash clean up...

2984-BA5-D-F115-44-D3-B4-F0-0479-EA33-CD

2069-FDBA-7851-475-B-93-A2-7-F9-B2282652

A flat coat, a bit of detail item painting and some last parts to glue on and this one is done.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stikpusher said:

Thanks Joe. It’s getting there.

Hell yeah it is. Each update just keeps getting better and better.

I’m calling this one finished. I built this as a quick project, with minor modifications, so as not to slow me down. I did not correct the rear suspension, which Academy molded as the A2 type, but then again, no one will see that on my display shelf. I painted in the 70’s era MASSTER scheme used in Europe by 7th Army units using Humbrol enamels. Markings are a mix of kit decals and decals from my decals drawer. I tried scratching up the antenna using telescoping brass to better replicate the tapered shape of those things, but it did not turn out as well as I wanted. Better luck next time I guess. The map case and medium ALICE pack are from my spare parts bins. All in all a fun little project.

07-BDF00-E-0-B81-456-F-9-DAB-E104-E688-A

0-A0-E593-B-8-BAD-4-EFA-94-D6-462-E34473

E8-D37-B02-43-CD-4381-8627-58048-D99-BBA

AFB29691-6139-4-F81-8-F91-ED624-A8510-B9

3-EBA1-FE6-CCC8-4-E3-E-B12-A-8-CCDC32229

DAB1-CC4-E-57-A6-4368-BDE5-D72891-BFE24-

ABEFFD1-D-EC7-D-4988-AD34-FB10-B294-E7-B

Comments and critiques are welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Stikpusher changed the title to Academy 1/35 M151A1 ***COMPLETED***

Joe and Chris, thank you for your complements. Chris, a new year and new projects are right around the corner. 😉

I really like your 3-color camo, but I have to ask--those who may know--if the Army actually went to all the trouble of masking and painting the camo inside the vehicle.  Just wondering, 'cuz that must double or triple the time and effort involved in doing the camo.

Thanks Rick. I’m happy to hear that you like it.

As far as camo painting the inside of the vehicle, yes it is done. Especially on soft/open topped vehicles such as this. I can vouch from personal experience there. (I served 24 years between regular Army and National Guard, 1983 to 2007) Is it done universally? No, again I came across soft tops that were single color on the crew area. In this case, the MASSTER scheme was hand painted, not masked off. Generally speaking US Army camo schemes will either be hand painted and hard edged, or sprayed on soft edge without masking for a pattern. Masking is only done on things like data & warning placards, windshields/periscopes/vision blocks/etc. and lighting equipment lenses. And again, like everything else in the Army, exceptions will be found. And places like the underside and engine compartment are generally left in the factory color, which in the case of this build was Olive Drab.

• 9 months later...

Well, nearly a year after completing this build, I finally was able to take it into IPMS for a competition. I threw together a little base in the afternoon, then in the evening, off we went. Phoenix IPMS runs their contests a bit different than OC IPMS where I used to be, so I had to start at the bottom of the totem pole again, due to being a new member. They also only judge by chapter judges for the theme of the month, as opposed to all builds in a skill level in a free for all chosen by all members. Long story short, my little old 151 won in the new guys armor competition last nite

F700-BE49-D5-A2-4536-B414-328475-B1-BCBB

D5-BC0-A58-AE2-A-4695-A932-DC4-F49415-D4

6-A625244-B960-4-C40-ABB8-8636-B4-C0717-

3-D0-E8-EEE-1-ACC-4-B69-9496-756966773-E

No plaques, plates, or other such things are awarded at monthly meetings (perhaps that’s why the annual dues are so minimal), but winners do get a gift certificate to the local hobby shop of their choice. This time I chose Andy’s Hobby HQ.

Thanks Mark. They run the contests different here than with OC IPMS where everything can compete at monthly meetings. Only the models that fall under the monthly theme are in play. This month was Armor & Autos, each in separate categories. Normally it’s just one theme, but last months meeting was cancelled due to weather, so the contest was doubled up.

• 2 months later...

Truth be told, between the two clubs, I miss OC IPMS and the way it’s run by comparison. They run a tighter ship.