USS Arizona funnel question

Eugene

I have purchased a 3D printed funnel for the 1/350 USS Arizona to replace the hobby boss kit funnel, just ready to add photo etch railing etc. I was wondering how sailors would get to very top of funnel???

Seen no blueprints that show ladder(s) in this area, but  I have seen ladder(s) on the front of the funnel on 1/200 scale models of the USS Arizona!  Does anyone have actual pictures that show the ladder(s) on the front of funnel, in it late 1941 reconfiguration?  or is this how model builders think it should have been???? 

I could find no clear photos of this area on USS Arizona. However, this is her sister ship, USS Pennsylvania, at Mare Island during refit a few months after Pearl Harbor in a photo that I found on Navsource. If you look closely at the forward end of the funnel, you can see ladder rungs.

image.thumb.jpeg.dd6cc61361a1bb6d0f2fa82d58c67992.jpeg

• Thanks 1

You’re welcome. If there was no luck with Pennsylvania, I was going to suggest looking up the model on display in the Arizona Memorial. That model is supposed to be super accurate.

Stikpusher

I have the book called "The Rivet Counter 1"  which features Don Preul,  the master builder of the USS Arizona 1/96 scale model on display at Pearl Harbor. It does show any ladders on the front of funnel??

Photos in Stillwell's Arizona book (1941) do not show a ladder fore or aft sides of the funnel.   

Kagero's 3D drawings of the Arizona show a ladder from the platform at the level of the observation platform, in several breaks, to the top of the funnel.   This ladder os on the forward side of the funnel.   There are also ladders shown in Kagero leading to the observation platforms midway up the sides of the funnels   Above these platforms, on their roofs, are gun tubs.   While no light guns are shown, there are deflection pipes shown.   Above these platforms are "monkey bars" which would allow access to the funnel top

Edited by EFGrune
fix

• 5 months later...

Eugene,

My reply is probably too late, but the Arizona didn't have ladders on the outside of the funnel. It was accessed by the interior below the Nav Bridge level and went up to the top(inside) There is a hatch on the top. Be careful with the 3D books. They are drawn with not the best information and with a bias. Photos and period plans(or plans traced/redrawn from originals) are the best source. 

Randy

Edited by tegunn