Clarence Wentzel RIP

snelson

Kalamazoo Scale Modelers has lost a great modeler and a true gentleman.  Blue skies, Clare..you'll be sorely missed.

Clarence E. Wentzel of Kalamazoo, MI passed away on Thursday, October 15, 2020, at the age of 80 after losing his short battle with COVID-19. Clarence was born in Chicago, IL on May 30, 1940, to father Clarence Julius and mother Mary Bowen. He graduated from Constantine High School in 1957. It was there he met his wife Marcy. Following high school, he enrolled at Trine University (formally Tri-State) where he graduated with a BS in Aeronautical Engineering in 1960. He was hired out of college by Fisher Body and remained with General Motors for 38 years. His career at General Motors was expansive, encompassing both domestic and international operations. Despite his knowledge of cars, aircraft remained his first passion. As a life-long modeler he built both wooden and plastic airplanes and became very skilled and prolific, assembling numerous museum-quality replicas. Clarence was a smart, kind and humble man who lived a full and active life. He traveled the world, learned foreign languages, loved to read, watch movies, work in his yard, jog and golf. One of his defining traits was his generosity, and he cherished most his time spent with his wife, other family and his many, many friends. Clarence was preceded in death by his parents and by his brother Mike Bowen. He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Marcy Wentzel; children James Wentzel (wife Bernadette), Lee Wentzel (wife Cindy Kay) and Lisa Messina (husband Dominic); and grandchildren Irena Wentzel, Jason Messina and Daniel Messina. People wishing to honor Clarence can donate in his memory to the Air Zoo in Portage, Michigan (https://kalamazoo-aviation-history-museum-dba-air-zoo.snwbll.com/imagine-inspire-ignite). According to his wishes, cremation has taken place. Memorial services will be held at a later date. Arrangements were entrusted to Eley Funeral Home, Constantine. Online messages can be left for the family at www.eleyfuneralhomes.com.

To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.
Published in Kalamazoo Gazette from Oct. 19 to Oct. 20, 2020.

Clare.jpg

Oh No! Clare was a great guy and true gentlemen. I worked with him on the IPMS Reviewer Corps and spent time with him at contests. He was very funny and was a hoot to spend time with. He'll really be missed

RIP

Dave

Another outstanding individual cut down before his time. A great loss.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m very sorry to hear of his loss. My condolences accordingly. I read his reviews on the IPMS Reviewer Corps which were well written. May he Rest In Peace.

Mark

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I found out about this when his wife responded to a Christmas card I had sent them, telling me about his passing. It was a terrible blow for me; he was one of those guys that I always wished I could spend more time with. I was always amazed at the thrill he got from seeing all my models  at each convention I went to.  It felt great and he always made me feel like my accomplishments in finishing what I did were tremendous accomplishments in his eyes. He will be sorely missed.

Maybe this should be a lesson to all of us: spend as much time as you can with all those modelers who are special to you. Seek out the ones who's names you've seen but have never met and be sure to get to know them. You never know if that convention will be the last chance you'll ever have to do that.

I am at least thrilled that I got to see and get to know Clare.

Archived