Trying A Survey Again: Believe Me, Your Opinion Counts.

ipmsusa2

Hello all,

Last time I tried this I didn't get too many responses and...even worse...I can't find the responses I did get!  Well, live and learn.  This time I'm gonna put the results in a folder on my computer's hard drive so I can't lose'em!!  Now to what I'm asking about:

Please offer your thoughts as to the model or models you would like to see as step-by-step e-books (one kit to a book, please). Your response matters. See scalepublications.freeyellow.com for current e-books.   All ebooks will be available in a printable PDF format for those who prefer hardcopies.

Subject?
Kit Build or Photo Reference Gallery?
Scale?
Manufacturer (classic, out of production or current)?
Standalone shelf model?
Standalone on small base?
Vignette/Diorama preferred?
Include aftermarket components?
Comments (Don't be shy, I want your thoughts)?

Note that there are no restrictions on the quality of the kit or when it was originally produced.  "The only game in town" kit will be given equal consideration.

Howz'about a larger scale vacuform airplane kit, from cradle-to-uhhh...display stand. Maybe do one of those new-ish Tigger/ID Models kits, of a subject otherwise unique:

How to strengthen & straighten structure & joints, making & using jigs, evaluating & using scale drawings to correct shape issues, considerations for adding detail, lights, etc. These are all skills transferable to very basic kits and to scratchbuilding.

Display could also be flying: Consider a wall-mount diorama/display with structural support running through the wings, tail, or whatever.

Personal request: Not another WWII German subject. I am not 'offended' by that stuff, just tired-to-death of seeing it everywhere, all the time.

Cheers!

Hello Bob.  You've offered some very interesting suggestions, particularly when it comes to the techniques/skills areas.  A standalone ebook is a possibility, as is spending more time focusing on the techniques within the context of a complete kit build.  Your display idea is also interesting.  As for the Tigger/ID Models, probably not.  Not because it isn't a good idea but because file size limitations make it rather untenable.  Then there's the cost for those who might want to try it.

Regarding your personal request, the only German I would do would have to be either a unique subject or a unique vignette/diorama display. 

I'd like to see more kits of Vietnam era Riverine craft, like PBR's and gun boats.  How about more 1/72 scale armor accessories like are available in 1/35 and 1/48th scale. Packs, bottles, carboard boxes. More 1/72 scale aircraft ground service equipment, tow vehicles, aircraft starters, etc. More 1/72nd scale Anti-aircraft missle systems. U.S. and overseas.

Bob Walker,

You misunderstood the point of this survey.  I'm trying to find out what y'all would like to see in the way of ebooks that either show how to build a particular kit or photo galleries that focus on a specific subject.  I understand your desire for specific kits, figures and accessories, but that isn't the purpose of this survey.

There are not many books on scratch building techniques out there, regardless of subject.

Noel,

You make a good point.  But rather than doing an ebook on a totally scratchbuilt model, instead integrate scratchbuilding techniques into various superdetailing areas such as Plasmo does on YouTube.  Major conversions are another possibility where scratchbuilding methods are an absolute necessity.  And, of course, scratchbuilding techniques are frequently required in vignettes and./or dioramas.

From a "sales" point of view, I wonder if an Ebook covering the 1/48 bombers from Monogram/Revell might interest people. There's the B-17G, the B-17F, the B-24D, the B-24J, the B-26 Marauder, the A-26 Invader, and the B-29 Superfortress. While you'd never do a comprehensive step-by-step build of all of them, there are many similar components and build techniques that could be applied to all. You could cover areas such as:

1) Getting the most from the stock, OOTB molded interior details by using advanced painting techniques.

2) The best way to paint and detail (in correct period colors) common items like O2 bottles, fire extinguisher equipment; and perhaps some period detail pics of the common radio equipment that would allow for better painting and detailing of those items.

3) The best approaches to improving the worst "fit" problems that these kits are known for; a good basic guide on scribing for those who want engraved lines; and some tricks for those who can live with raised lines but want to replace surface details lost in sanding

4) Suggestions and techniques (including aftermarket lists) to correct the known inacccuracies on these kits.

5) The best approach, and/or alternative methods to getting the glass parts to fit best and look best.

6) A list of the easiest conversions that can be done to these kits, and a list of the conversions available from aftermarket for them.

7) A listing of detail and aftermarket made for these kits available at the time of the issue of the Ebook

8- A listing of the decals made for them (either all of them ever made, or just a listing of the currently available sheets with pointers of where to look for older sheets)

These kits are still some of the most popular among 1/48 builders, are more affordable than the "newer" versions, and an Ebook like that could inspire their owners to build more of them. Of course, all of the above could be applied to any ONE of those kits, or one Ebook in turn for each using common pics several times among several of the books.

Gil :smiley16:

Gil,

I like your response.  I've built the Marauder in the past for a client but have never dealt with the Invader.  They would be definite possibilities since I don't have the space right now for a four engine bomber.  The techniques and ideas you suggest could be used on an as needed basis.  Incidentally, your comments also apply to some of the single engine Monogram/Revell subjects of that period such as the AT-6, F-100, F-105, etc.  There are also major conversions of single engine fighters to think about.

One thing I've considered is the sheet styrene scratchbuilt of the XB-42/43 that Lloyd Jones did in an IPMS/USA pub a lot of years ago, but I don't know how much appeal it would have.  It'd certainly be small enough, even in 1/48th scale.  I think he also did an XB-35 the same way but I wouldn't go near that one due to its size.

One thing you didn't touch on is your preference/opinion of shelf model versus a small vignette/diorama.