PB4Y-2 Privateer N2871G

MetcalfAviationMuseum

Hello IPMS/USA members!  I am trying to build a Matchbox 1/72 scale kit Consolidated-Vultee PB4Y-2 Privateer to look just like the actual Consolidated-Vultee PB4Y-2 Privateer N2871G.  I've recently came to a halt in building it because I don't have the right nose.  The kit came with a Turret Nose and I need to have a rounded glass (plastic) nose;  I've looked at squadron.com and I found a 1/72 scale B-24D Nose that I think could work but it said it for Academy kit, mine is Matchbox kit.  Does anyone know if that B-24D Nose would work?  Also, I had an idea to use plastic from a Water Bottle and shape it to fit, would that work?  I've Included pictures of the actual Consolidated-Vultee PB4Y-2 Privateer N2871G for reference.

Consolidated-Vultee PB4Y-2 Privateer N2871G.jpg

That is one of the USCG's P4Y-2G's, and that SAR nose was peculiar to them.  Nobody I am aware of makes this as an aftermarket canopy set, so you'll have to make a form (buck) and thermoform one.  It isn't as hard as it sounds--the buck can be made from wood or air drying clay.  You'll want the buck to be slightly smaller than the final item.  When you have it shaped, make sure it is smooth and then seal it with a few coats of a clear gloss until it is smooth and shiny.  Make some sort of provision to add a  dowel "handle" on the back side, then securely clamp the handle in a vice.  Take a sheet of clear plastic (PETG is best, but if you want to experiment with water bottles, go ahead) heat it over the stove, then, once the plastic is soft and pliable, pull it down over the buck.  Let the plastic cool, trim to shape, and attach to the model.

The canopy is also different, but you could probably sand and polish the frames off of the kit canopy to get it to look like the photo.

Note too that the airplane in the photo is a "Super Privateer" with the R2600 engines and nacelles of a B-25.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ralph Nardone said:

That is one of the USCG's P4Y-2G's, and that SAR nose was peculiar to them.  Nobody I am aware of makes this as an aftermarket canopy set, so you'll have to make a form (buck) and thermoform one.  It isn't as hard as it sounds--the buck can be made from wood or air drying clay.  You'll want the buck to be slightly smaller than the final item.  When you have it shaped, make sure it is smooth and then seal it with a few coats of a clear gloss until it is smooth and shiny.  Make some sort of provision to add a  dowel "handle" on the back side, then securely clamp the handle in a vice.  Take a sheet of clear plastic (PETG is best, but if you want to experiment with water bottles, go ahead) heat it over the stove, then, once the plastic is soft and pliable, pull it down over the buck.  Let the plastic cool, trim to shape, and attach to the model.

The canopy is also different, but you could probably sand and polish the frames off of the kit canopy to get it to look like the photo.

Note too that the airplane in the photo is a "Super Privateer" with the R2600 engines and nacelles of a B-25.

Thanks for the information