Airfix Jeep into a Jeep Ambulance

Ron Bell

I was working on the Airfix Buffalo kit with the jeep 'passenger', but I wanted to do the Buffalo as an ambulance vehicle, so I needed to figure out what to do with the jeep, if anything. Then it hit me, why not a Jeep ambulance? A quick internet search produced a score of possible variations on this theme, so I chose one and had at it. The stretcher support frames are plastic rod stock with the exception of the curved one in the front, which is from brass wire. I sistered in a dash panel from another kit as the Airfix one is blank, a different steering wheel and column, brake, clutch and accelerator pedals, gear shift levers and used a different seat as the kit one was pretty plain looking. The stretchers are rod stock wrapped in masking tape with tape straps. The flag was printed from the internet onto regular paper and cut to fit the thin rod stock pole. The extra stowage was from the spares box. The decals were translucent, so I cut out circles of white decal that I applied first, which brightened them up. For an afterthought of a project, I am quite pleased with how it turned out. 

IMG_20200915_152607.jpg

IMG_20200915_152653.jpg

IMG_20200915_152706.jpg

IMG_20200915_152736.jpg

IMG_20200915_152616.jpg

• Like 1

I keep wondering where you come up with all these unusual kits & conversions.  All very nicely done.  Encouraging just to see your work.