Future over lacquer paints?

afterburner

So, I have a Tamiya Skyray that I am ready to decal. The white (bottom) and gull gray (top) were shot with Gunze Mr. Color Lacquer paints. I had masked the front nosecone and glare panel in front of the windscreen prior to shooting the lacquer paints and once they were dry (48 hours to be safe), I masked the rest of the plane and shot the glare shield and nosecone with Tamiya acrylic flat black. I'd like to seal the acrylic black with Future in preparation of the acrylic wash. I know lacquer over acrylic is ok as it worked beautifully in the past. Question is- if I shoot Future over the entire model is it going to stick to the lacquer and be the hard, durable shield it has been in the past? OR, do I need to mask the black acrylic areas and Future coat that independently? What I should have done was to spray black lacquer but I didn't have any so... I used what was available.

Many thanks for the help and input- I'm ready to get some decals on this bird for our Friday meet!

Regards,

Jon

By order of application, you get the L-E-A rule:

Lacquers first, then Enamels, then Acrylics.

I know people who routinely apply enamels over cured acrylics. How do you know when a paint has fully cured? Ed Kinney had a great bit in the latest AMM--the nose knows. If you can still smell the paint, it isn't cured. Wait until you can no longer smell the solvent, that tells you that the paint has outgassed and cured. Ed was using lacquers, but the sniff test still applied to any paint.

That being said, I adhere to the rule posted above. You can mix the types of paint on the model, just plan it out so that you obey the L-E-A rule.

Ralph

You might want to consider using an enamel or lacquer gloss coat IF you're going to use the acrylic wash you mentioned. The general rule of thumb is to use opposites for the gloss and the wash. Since Future is an acrylic, your acrylic wash might bind to it and not want to wipe off as easily (or at all). For enamels, I like Testors Gloss coat, UNLESS it's going over white (as in your F4D), as it tends to yellow over time (old bottles are yellowish to begin with!). Model Master Metalizer Sealer is a good alternative and doesn't yellow like the MM gloss coats. Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks for the help fellas. I stated incorrectly that I had an acrylic under the lacquer. I actually had used Mr. Surfacer 1200 to prime- just had a brain fart. This, even though the can was sitting right in front of me. I actually picked up some ProModeller Wash a couple of weeks ago and after great success using it on the landing gear I might just use that. I might just Future coat the nose cone and the glare shield and not the rest of the model as the Gunze lacquers have it veery nice and glossy now. Then I will seal it with Dulcote.