Antique Airfix 1/72 Mig-15

Ron Bell

Remember when kits had maybe a dozen or so parts? Remember when there were actual instructions that used real words to convey how to put together the model? Remember how nothing fit right? Well, here's a prime specimen. I got this in a sort of 'grab bag' purchase and after a few frustrating outings on more modern kits, I decided to just build it and have a little old fashioned modeling fun. It's OOTB with two exceptions. One is I sanded off all the raised panel lines. The second is that I blanked off the inside of the nose intake so you can't look all the way through the a/c. Fit was as you would expect it, but with careful prep and assembly amazingly little putty was required. The finish is Tamiya rattle can AS-12 Metalic Silver. The decals were way far gone, so I used some from the spares file. Took quite a bit of weight in the nose to get it not to sit on it's tail, but it was fun, didn't fight me and could have been an award winning model at a 1963 model show, which is when the kit came out. 

IMG_20200912_154733.jpg

IMG_20200912_154753.jpg

IMG_20200912_154740.jpg

IMG_20200912_154818.jpg

• Like 1

Ah the memories! Thanks for that Ron! This looks a lot like the one that came in the Airfix Dogfight Doubles set with the MiG and Mirage that I built as a kid (and still have!) You did spectacular on this simple little model; I think it could even be a contender today.

• 4 weeks later...

First old Aurora kits, now Airfix !  NICE !

Keep that up and you just might inspire folks to open up the collector grade kits that cost $1.00 or less in the 1960s - currently stored safely in closets - and build them for display along with the modern $200.00 or more  CADD designed kits.  🤔😁

Mark, you are correct !

The old kits aren't as complex though wrestling the seams into shape will take most of the effort. 

I bought some Lindberg and  Monogram re-issued Aurora kits for similar projects ........

When the weather cools down , that is, as I am currently working on a 1:1 scale project adding exterior upgrades to my house.

Edited by cheveuxroux

We now return you to your regular programming........................🤫

As for the wonderfully finished product.............you must be a tough and very determined builder !

I never built that kit, but from what i recall of some old Airfix kits, the wing roots were a terror to blend into the fuselage.

Must have been a Bear ( a much bigger Soviet aircraft 😉) to fill in and sand the wing roots and empennage assembly to a smooth finish for seam free painting. 😧