"Above the Foe"--Republic's P-47D Thunderbolt

jlent

This was my first attempt at building a natural metal aircraft model.  I chose to work on a P-47 Thunderbolt because my IPMS Tidewater buds inspired me with their work.  Dave built an outstanding P-47N model with 507th Fighter Group markings; the unit with the light blue triangles on yellow tail surfaces.  I was also impressed with the natural metal projects done by Scott, with his Lancaster, XP-49 Flying Wing, and his own version of the Tamiya P-47; Bill with his Mig-21, Ki-45, and F-104; and Chip with his Ki-44.  If you've ever been to a Region 2 show, or Nationals for that matter, they are a sight to see.

"Above the Foe" is the motto of the 78th Fighter Group.  My model represents the aircraft flown by Maj Ben Mayo, 78th Fighter Group, 84th Fighter Squadron, Duxford, United Kingdom, in the summer of 1944.  The model was important to me because 78th FG now serves as the 78th Air Base Wing at Robins AFB, GA.  The 78th ABW supported my unit, the 5th Combat Communications Group, when we had to "get out the door" for an overseas deployment or to support a humanitarian relief operation.  They are a fine group of professionals.

I built the 1/72 scale Tamiya P-47D model out of the box.  In building this kit, I learned a number of lessons; the first one was on the use of Alclad paints.  I used aluminum as the base, duraluminum for the elevators and ailerons, dark aluminum for the cowling, wing tips, and gun panels, and burnt aluminum for the lower gun panels...I used Tamiya tape to mask off the different sections, but when I removed the tape, it peeled off the adjacent aluminum base coat.  Scott suggested I strip the paint and then wipe down the model surface with rubbing alcohol.  It worked.  The paint didn't peel anymore, but in the process, the rubbing alcohol took out the putty I used to fill the seams.  I had to re-work that effort before putting on the primer.  I discovered the different grades of Tamiya sandpaper are great, and the importance of a hair dryer to help decals settle after applying the microsol...this was a hard lesson...bought two additional P-47 models to get the decals because I screwed-up the checkerboard twice on the cowling.  I didn't put the invasion stripes on the lower wings and landing gear because, combined with the large national insignia, it would cover most of the natural metal surface I worked on.  Did some "research" and there were D-Day aircraft that had the wing markings removed by the fall of 1944....or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it....        

20190706_144547 (1).jpg

20200426_172224 (1).jpg

20200426_172247 (1).jpg

20200512_180516 (1).jpg

20200607_163408.jpg

20200726_171444.jpg

20200831_122008.jpg

20200907_153957.jpg

20200907_151203 (1).jpg

20200908_185545.jpg

Beautiful job! I've always wanted to do a multi-hued metal finish but never found a good way to do it without the same issues you faced. You've done outstanding work on this; I especially love that it is in my favorite scale.

22 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Beautiful job! I've always wanted to do a multi-hued metal finish but never found a good way to do it without the same issues you faced. You've done outstanding work on this; I especially love that it is in my favorite scale.

Mark -

Wanted to thank you for your comments about my P-47D--it was a lot of work, but I think it paid off, and I'm happy with it.  I didn't know they made another scale...😀 At any rate, look forward to seeing more of your work on the IPMS site; if you go to the Omaha show in a couple of years, I hope I can introduce myself.

22 hours ago, ghodges said:

That's a terrific looking T-Bolt! I'd have never guessed you had any problems at all from the result! Congrats, and thanks for sharing with us!

Gil :smiley16:

Gil -

Thank you for your thoughts on my model. What's amazing to me is that despite the fact I have very little patience with things like computers at work, I had a lot of patience with this kit, despite all the setbacks.  I learned a lot, which I think helps me to be a better modeler.  I came to one realization though--the hard truth is that at this rate, the stash will not be done....take care and see you at a Nationals!  

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 11:12 AM, jlent said:

Mark -

Wanted to thank you for your comments about my P-47D--it was a lot of work, but I think it paid off, and I'm happy with it.  I didn't know they made another scale...😀 At any rate, look forward to seeing more of your work on the IPMS site; if you go to the Omaha show in a couple of years, I hope I can introduce myself.

You're welcome John! Yeah, I only build in 1/72 scale, both in aircraft and armor. I do post my works in progress as well as my completed models here; in fact, I just updated my Maddog Manufacturing thread with my latest. You can find it in the "Photos... On the Bench" subforum. Feel free to check it out if you like.

I do look forward to meeting you as well. I'll be at the Vegas show; God winning and the crik don't rise; but I'm not sure of Omaha. We have some time though so we'll see what happens.