Aurora 1/175 Convair B-58

Ron Bell

I got a couple of this series released by Aurora back in the 60's (63 to be exact for this one) and decided to do it as a nice desk model. It doesn't come with any landing gear, so that was actually and easy decision. Of course, in 1/175 this was a very basic kit with rather large  trenches for panel lines. I filled all those and sanded everything smooth.The finish is Alclad polished aluminum. The decal were a total loss, so I just cobbled some together from my spares. I dressed up the base a bit in the hopes that it will be a bit more stable as it's pretty wobbly on it's own. I included a shot including the box top and the box end with the price tag of $.39. 

IMG_20200830_141324 (1).jpg

IMG_20200830_141402.jpg

IMG_20200830_141355.jpg

IMG_20200830_141442.jpg

Nice work on that old kit ! 

I still have an Aurora B-36  ( purchased at the Long Out Of Business  Stanton Hobby on Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago )

but used Rub N Buff, which was all the rage back in the 1960s as natural metal finishes as we now know them were non existent and builders were limited to Testors Silver Enamel and maybe some model company's brand name paint.

Despite complaints of Rub-N-Buff finishes never drying, the finish on my model survived well but the kit is no longer in one piece due to multiple moves since childhood.

One of these days, I gotta restore it along with my 12 O'Clock High B-17 formation kit. I do still have the 12 O'Clock High Box but not the B-36 box. .

Edited by cheveuxroux

Very nice Bob! I can remember the first B-58 I saw at Carswell AFB in 1958. It was on display along with some of the new B-52Bs and C models on the ramp.

Happy Modeling,

Mark

Hey Bob, note that this kit also originated at Stanton Hobbies! It may have sat on the shelf right next to your B-36.

Great job and the finish is superb.  Maybe Atlantis Models has those Aurora molds and will reissue the kit.  Or maybe they were lost in the train wreck...

I had an opportunity three years ago to walk around a B-58 at Pima Air Museum in Arizona.  They also have a B-36 and two B-52s.  Took several hundred photos with a Nikon DSLR.  Unfortunately the finish on their B-58 was faded from sitting out over the years.  I think they work through and refurbish them every few years.  The 36 looked very nice.  

Again, a really nice job on an older kit from my childhood! 
Tom

1 hour ago, Ron Bell said:

Hey Bob, note that this kit also originated at Stanton Hobbies! It may have sat on the shelf right next to your B-36.

It might have ! 

Stanton Hobby used to be a fun place to visit as it had a big Caravelle airliner hanging from the ceiling along with other RC aircraft and lots of Aurora models stocking the shelves in the 1960s. Another of my favorite hobby shops on the north side of Chicago was Pilot Hobby

45 minutes ago, TomDougherty said:

Great job and the finish is superb.  Maybe Atlantis Models has those Aurora molds and will reissue the kit.

Tom

Ron does really nice work on making the older Aurora kits worth building, as shown by his M 46 Patton and Stalin III as well as stirring up some fond childhood kit building memories 🙂

Edited by cheveuxroux