The Duke Finishes Two in August

Well, despite a lot of issues and setbacks, I did manage to finish a couple more models.

These are the ACE 1/72 scale Mercedes touring cars from the 1930's. As such, they are about two and a half inches long plus or minus in this scale. The camera catches every issue, mistake and poor paint work that I did on these, making these crap compared to real car builders on these boards. That being said, they do look good from three feet away and I am thrilled... yes Thrilled! to have these done and on the shelf!

Okay, enough talk... here they are:

This first one is the Mercedes Type 770K (W-150) Grosser cabriolet F touring car. This one was done as the Mirbach private gallery as restored in the 1990's. I did that because I like the green:

full

full

I like the dashboard they give you in this kit:

full

full

The next one is the Mercedes Type 770K (W-150) Grosser Tourenwagen (unarmored). I did this as the car used by Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands in May 1945. That was mostly because I liked all the markings on this car:

full

full

full

full

And that is all for now. I wanted to finish more but things have been even more difficult for me than usual lately. Besides, I've been dealing with a ton of seams and other issues on my large aircraft that have slowed me down. You'll be able to see them in my other Thread. 

Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

• 1 month later...

Mark,

Very nice work. I really like the small scale cars but my eyes just don't like them much any more. Thank you for sharing.

David Von Almen, Gentleman Modeler

Thanks Bob. These are released by a company called ACE out of the Ukraine and are short run kits. They have also issued a number of other 'staff' cars that could easily be done as civilian cars. I'd say that I have probably built at least 53% of their complete line of vehicle models. Yes, I did a bit of hand painting on the chrome; I had tried to mask the sides of the lines but they did have a bit of bleed through. Interesting that the Prince Bernard car was in OD; the instruction sheet from the kit only mentioned it being in black. That is why I painted it a glossy black. The other car was also supposed to be in black, but I wanted a different color so I went with the green on the restored museum car.

Thanks again for commenting.

No worries. It might have been re-painted in OD at some point near the latter part of the war. My references weren't very clear on that.

Hmmm, a small scale Rommel's Rod. Now that is an intriguing idea.....