Introspective moment during build...

Scooter

Had an Introspective hobby moment tonight....

while obsessing about the lack of detail in my current 1/48 scale build of a CAC Boomerang.. I had been pondering for weeks how/if/was I possibly missing something. I assumed I had no references, and the internet was not quite there on what I needed..

solution: heck, look in all the hundreds of Scale Aviation Modeler International copies that I have at home, and sure enough (and then I also remembered)..a full feature from Richard Caruana in 2000..

...opened the binder covered copies from that year...and all was solved.

Now I know why I buy all the books and magazines, and why I also need a system to remember them..

I am sure that I am not alone!

AC

Had an Introspective hobby moment tonight....

.....Scale Aviation Modeler International copies that I have at home, and sure enough.....

Now I know why I buy all the books and magazines, and why I also need a system to remember them..

I am sure that I am not alone!

AC

- Adam, you're asking thee "George Carlin" question. Answer: Because we inherently like to collect....MORE STUFF!

I totally relate to your delema. I've got so many books and references that sometimes I miss the obvious. And SAMI's are one of my favorite references :smiley20: for builds, markings profiles, detail artwork, and photos. My next favorites would be World Air Power Journals and Wings of Fame. Model on, Brother of the Sprue. :smiley4:

Yep! I even collect magazines with great build articles JUST to copy those builds....whether they're accurate or not! I figure if I can make mine look just like the ones I like in the magazines, then I should be happy with it on my shelf!

GIL :smiley16:

Just wait until our wives or kids have to sort through all this stuff!! I'm got FSM back well into the 80's and Scale Modeler back into the 70's. What's a modeler to do. I carry a binder with my inventory list with me in the car so that if I stop at a 1/2 price books and find some old magazines I can avoid duplicates. FSM has a downloadable index that is very helpful. Haven't figured out a system for the Scale Modeler yet. I also keep a numbered inventory of In Action and Walk-around too. Don't ask about all the hardcover reference books!!!

I'm actually leaning toward the other end of things - wondering why I have KEPT all of the old mags I have here. I rarely (if ever) look at some of the issues. I recently sold off a huge pile for a friend, and am now seriously thinking of selling off what I have here. Too much stuff, and not enough space...

........I carry a binder with my inventory list with me in the car so that if I stop at a 1/2 price books and find some old magazines I can avoid duplicates..........I also keep a numbered inventory of In Action and Walk-around too.

Don, you are not alone...... I too have a notebook with lists of all my references, either by number (In Actions, World Airpower Journals, etc) or by Vol & No. (Air Enthusiasts, Scale Modelers, etc). I usually only take it when I'm going to a contest/vendors room. Sometimes to club meetings where I think there will be sellers. Is this effeciency? :smiley14::smiley20: Or insanity? :smiley29::smiley11: Either way, model on, Brothers of the Sprue. :smiley4:

I have a large reference library, but it's not that well organized.

I have no doubt that when I'm gone, my wife will burn it one book at a time to keep warm for several winters....