Apollo 11 Build

RickSchad

Hi All,

Here is my Apollo 11 build. This was built from the vintage Monogram kit. The kit was terrible and I could only really use it for general shapes, most of this was recreated using metal and sheet styrene.

I did lots of research and worked mainly from photos. I hope you enjoy!

Rick

Apollo_9.jpg

Apollo_10.jpg

Apollo_8.jpg

Apollo_7.jpg

Apollo_6.jpg

Apollo_5.jpg

Apollo_4.jpg

Apollo_3.jpg

Apollo_2.jpg

Apollo_1.jpg

• Like 2

Amazing that "thing" got to the moon and back, well at least to the orbiting command module anyway. A labor of love, I assume, and it shows. Very nice work.

Very nice (re)build of an old and mediocre kit.  Did you use the Scott Sullivan “Virtual LM” book as a source?  I find it great for the details and the subtle differences between the earlier H and later J series LM. 
Extremely well done; congratulations!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you! I mainly used hiresolution photos from NASA and the Smithsonian. I will need to check out the book. I built that model for the folks at AirBus in France. I’d like to build some more space kits.

Rick,  

I just checked Amazon, and unfortunately the LM book is out of print.  I paid $32 for it, and it is now going for 10X that price!!  Ouch! 
 If you need any particular views, let me know.  I have a 25 Mp Nikon and a scanner.  I can make you copies of pages.

Tom

Yikes!! Thanks Tom I will definitely hit you up if I do another. I want to do shuttle right after re entry so it’s nice and dirty or a full Apollo rocket.

7BE3123F-BCC1-4268-8EE5-A2B9D96F55AF.jpeg

Rick, 

I have a lot of Nikon DSLR 25 Mp photos of Discovery, as a complete walk around. Some photos were taken from about 7 feet away.  And, yes, she is scorched, you can see the streak marks.  
Tom

Really nice!

I never owned the kit but am not surprised that you stated the kit was poor, considering the era.

You mentioned using metal in the construction.

IIRC, someone mentioned in an interview some years ago that the sheet metal used on the actual craft was so thin that you might have been able to use Reynolds Aluminum Foil- if not for the fragility of the model. 😉

Thanks for posting the photos.

Brings back memories of my childhood -summer of 69- watching the news coverage of the launch and landing.

Thanks so much! The actual module is not perfectly smooth, all the panels are pretty rough so it was fun to use thin aluminum sheets to replicate the look. Never been a fan of aluminum foil, you can’t sand it and it doesn’t hold paint well. 
thanks for checking out my build!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I thought I had commented on this. Brilliant work man! I do love the foil on that. On my 1/72 scale Saturn V rocket, I used gold foil for my LEM that went inside the rocket. I found it quite easy to work with for me. After all, I wanted a more realistic look just like the one you achieved here,