REDO, MJ Miniatures Bust

Bradley25mm

All,

After taking the figure painting class here in Louisville, I wanted to strip, and repaint the bust. I was never really happy with the first attempt. After trying to fix areas on his face, with no improvement, I decided it was finished. After some careful disassembly, I began the stripping process. His hat was the only thing that was not stripped. In a small metal cup, filled with Lacquer Thinner, I used an old brush to start removing the paint. With my first attempt, I used a combination of acrylics, enamels, and oils. The thinner did not attack the resin. After the paint was stripped off, I let the pieces sit for about 15 minutes.

During our class, we were given a very detailed "Step by step" process on painting our figure. The first time I painted it, I used a combination of Vallejo, Model Master Enamels, and AK Products. (All, very good paint products) For the second attempt, I used the paints that we were provided in class (Formula P3). The one thing that stands out with these paints, is their pigment saturation. Even after being thinned with water( and I mean, thinned) they still retained their pigment. Brett Avants  quote for the day, "Thin is in". Because of the pigment, the thinned paints, allow you to, gradually build up the layers as you go. 

Granted, I've got a ways to go, but these paints have made things easier for me. Happy Painting!

Chris

P.S. In my second attempt, he seems to have contracted "Lazy eye, in his left eye.", which I'm eventually going to fix. 

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

• Like 1

Looks really good!  Eyes are incredible had to get straight. Most will suggest that you never have figures looking straight ahead, but off to the side.  Yours isn't bad at all. Maybe use the sclera color to take a tiny bit off the inside part of the iris, and then add that stroke to the outside and you're there.