Scale Auto Magazine Closure

Recently learnt that Scale Auto will be ceasing publication this year October 2020.

From what I understand the Auto related subjects will be absorbed into Fine Scale Modeler.

I believe that Model Car Builder is still going and is a subscription only magazine in the US and Canada.

What is happening or has happened to Model Cars Magazine is anybody's guess. Their forum is very active but is the magazine still going?

I used to subscribe to the old Military Modeler magazine. Sometime in the mid 90s, it merged with their sister publication Scale Modeler with Military Modeler as a smaller subtitle.

That continued for a short time until the subtitle went away and it just became Scale Modeler for a while. Then the balance of my subscription was filled with some sort of hot rod magazine.

• 2 months later...

The Scale Auto Magazine Forum Website has now closed along with the magazine curtailment.

• 3 weeks later...

No one forced them. They just as easily could have settled here. That forum is rather sleepy, they could take over the auto forum in a short while and the general modeling forum just as quick. The only forum at FSM that has decent movement is the armor forum, and even that is slow compared to forums that specialize in armor modeling.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2020 at 12:40 PM, RGronovius said:

No one forced them. They just as easily could have settled here. That forum is rather sleepy, they could take over the auto forum in a short while and the general modeling forum just as quick. The only forum at FSM that has decent movement is the armor forum, and even that is slow compared to forums that specialize in armor modeling.

The auto side seems to be picking up speed now. Aircraft section is all but dead for all practical purposes. Hope things are going alright with you Rob in your "at home" deal as of late. 

• 2 weeks later...

Model Cars Magazine has seen itself back into print again under the editorship of Larry Greenberg. Hopefully it will get itself back on track again now that Scale Auto has ceased publication.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2020 at 4:38 AM, noelsmith said:

Model Cars Magazine has seen itself back into print again under the editorship of Larry Greenberg. Hopefully it will get itself back on track again now that Scale Auto has ceased publication.

I hope so. I really get alot out of that magazine

On 12/20/2020 at 4:38 AM, noelsmith said:

15 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I hope so. I really get a lot out of that magazine

Ironically, I have only recently been acquiring an interest in car kits after decades of aircraft models.

At least I have access to on-line building tips posted by various forum members now that Chicago area IPMS meetings have been shut down indefinitely due to Covid 19 and its various future mutations.

• 2 months later...

There is another USA magazine named Model Car Builder edited and produced by Roy Sorenson. 

You guys in the States have always been far better served by long lived auto related modelling magazines down the years. So with MCM getting back up and running and Model Car Builder in production even with the loss of Scale Auto you still have two magazines. Not to mention another USA magazine devoted to truck modelling that I believe you have.

I looked through the latest Fine Scale Modeler Magazine recently and the 'absorption' of Scale Auto into it comprised of just one article as far as I could see. Being a multi interest modelling magazine I guess that this was inevitable in order to have a balance of subject matter within it. Ex readers of Scale Auto will be disappointed however if their expectations were somewhat higher.

• 10 months later...

I have recently heard that Model Car Builder also will cease production due to Roy Sorenson retiring.

Perhaps someone who subscribes to that magazine will be able to confirm it or not?

• 1 year later...

Model Cars Magazine appears to have picked itself up under Larry Greenberg the new editor,  so the future looks promising without Scale Auto and Model Car Builder around as competitors.