1/48 Scale Gemini Spacecraft - finished.

dcaponeII

To just say you do fine work would be a gross understatement. You do outstanding work! These are beautiful. These are from the old Revell (or reissue) combo kit, right? The Real Space items plus your reliance on references really make these spacecraft special builds. Congratulations!

Ed

Hi all, Yup these are the venerable 1/48 scale Revell Kit. This is the release issued in the late 70's. They came out again in the white box under some history label or something like that. I picked these up at the Austin Contest last year for $8 sans decals and instructions. Someone scanned the directions for me from their kit on the FSM forum. The castings were still in excellent shape. The surface detail while somewhat inaccurate still is well done. Most of the kit parts were used in the spacecraft shown in the these shots. The Mercury instrument panel is from the Real Space Models resin set. The shell is the kit parts. There's a tough seam job. The kit shell is three separate pieces but with MEK and a micro brush you cant keep the seams under control. These little room for error on those seams because of the shingles on both vehicles. The Gemini shell is the same way. The resin set for the Gemini kit consists mostly of exterior pieces to make the vehicle more accurate than the kit parts. There is also a vacuum-formed inset for the aft cover. I used 3M spray adhesive to attach some gold foil from Rollo candy bars. I do like the way the aft came out. The remainder of the Real Space Mercury set is a shell for the porthole version used for Alan Shepard's flight. I made duplicate castings of the Revell kit heatshield and the retro pack and did a duplicate vehicle of Freedom 7 in the launch configuration so that I can mount it on a Mercury Redstone I am building from two Glencoe Jupiter C kits.

I guess that't it. No real problems. The exterior color on both vehicles is a mixture of 70% Flat Black and 30% Gunmetal both Testors ModelMaster enamel paint. The top coat on the Gemini is Testor Clear Flat lacquer which has a tendancy to yellow when sprayed over white. I added a drop of sea blue to the thinned clear coat to prevent the yellow cast. It seems to have worked but only time will tell.

Here is the other Mercury capsule.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5427/dsc04390q.jpg

• 2 weeks later...