Wayne Wachsmuth has passed away

SkyKing

Wayne, who I believe was National Chief Aircraft Judge for many years, has died at age 85. Here is his obituary:

Lt. Col., USAF (retired) Carl Wayne Wachsmuth, age 84, of Newville, passed away Thursday, July 9, 2020 at Carlisle Regional Medical Center. He was born August 12, 1935 in Butler, PA, the son of the late Curtis B. and Hazel (Gibson) Wachsmuth.

“Wayne” graduated from Slippery Rock High School. He proudly served as a pilot in the US Air Force from 1957 -1987. He flew B-47, B-52 and FB-111 bombers. Wayne served in the Strategic Air Command for over 20 years to include combat missions in the Vietnam War. After retiring from the Air Force he became a licensed battlefield guide at the Gettysburg National Military Park. In his spare time, Wayne enjoyed reading, gardening and taking his restored 1953 MG-TD to car shows. He also enjoyed taking his Scottish Terrier, “Angus” for long walks.

Wayne is survived by his loving wife of 52 years, Kathy (Murphy) Wachsmuth of Newville; son, Paul W. Wachsmuth (Glenda) of Waldorf, MD; two grandsons, Logan and Liam Wachsmuth both of Waldorf, MD; sister, Linda McKonly (Steve) of Hanover and several nieces and nephews. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by sister, Ruth Wolfe.

Professional services are entrusted to Dugan Funeral Home and Crematory, Inc., Shippensburg. Memorial Services are at the discretion of the family. Interment will be in Indiantown Gap VA National Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made in Wayne’s memory to the American Cancer Society, PO Box 22718, Oklahoma City, OK 73123.

Wayne was not only the head aircraft judge, he was the Chief Judge of the National Contest for years. He basically created the system we have now. I learned how to judge while he was in charge. He was a great leader and a good man. Thank you, Wayne, for all you did. 

• Like 2

Wayne taught me and many of the other Judges of my vintage how to judge. He always displayed tact and charm and a civilized, cultured demeanor. However, like the good soldier and leader that he was, he demanded excellence in modeling and judging. He inspired us to be discerning and scrupulous in examining every aspect of the model when judging. I recall some of his noteworthy and characteristically pithy aphorisms: “A hole ( cockpit, landing gear bay, bomb bay) is to look in.” “ The modeler finished before he was done.” Even more importantly, he demanded absolute integrity from his Judges. We all sought to be as wise and Solomon-like as Wayne. 

He was a courageous patriot and pilot. His courtly manner exemplified “an officer and a gentleman. “ His was a life well led. 

I consider myself fortunate to have been his student. I will always recall him with respect and fondness. 

Respectfully, Nick Filippone

• Like 2

I too began judging when he was Chief Judge. He started every judges meeting with the mantra that INTEGRITY was the foundation of judging....and when he said it, you believed he meant it and demanded it! He'll be sorely missed by all. God bless his family and friends!

Gil :smiley16:

My sincere condolences to a truly great man. He was an institution.

Mark