Need to Strip Primer and Paint From a Mostly Built Plane

MikeGilsbach

Hi All,

I have a 48 scale SU-25 mostly built. I sprayed it with white primer, but the finish was terrible - very grainy. So I lightly sanded it. I thought it would be OK with some paint over it but the paint didn't help.

I really think the best option is to strip the whole thing down and start over. I have seen lots of suggested methods for this - Oven Cleaner, auto products, alcohol soak. I can't soak it or I'll lose my cockpit paint. I heard that oven cleaner will destroy putty.

So, any suggestions for how to strip this thing that won't wreck my interior detail or putty work? I am fully prepared to work at it a while with a toothbrush or whatever. I'm just not sure what solvent will work the fastest without messing up what I want left intact.

Thanks,

Mike

The only other things I know to try:

Castrol Super Clean--this requires a soak, but if you prop the model up and soak parts of it, you may be able to remove most of the paint without hurting the cockpit. It does sometimes affect putty, though...

Polly-S Easy Lift Off (aka ELO), if you can find it, can be applied with a rag and the paint is them wiped off. It, too, can lift putty if left on the model too long....

The best thing for the model, I think, would be an overall wet sanding with 400 and 600 grit sandpaper. You don't need to sand all of the paint/primer off, you just need to smooth it out.

You didn't say what kind of paint you used. If you used acrylics, you can probably strip the acrylics with ammonia. If you used a solvent-based paint or primer, ammonia won't lift it....

If you used acrylics, and if you are able to lift them with ammonia, you should still hit the primer with some 600 grit, wet. Smooth the whole airplane out, then repaint.

Good luck!

Ralph

Polly-S Easy Lift Off (aka ELO), if you can find it, can be applied with a rag and the paint is them wiped off. It, too, can lift putty if left on the model too long....

ELO is in stock at eHobbies -

8 oz size @ $ 8.99 + S&H

http://www.ehobbies.com/flo542143.html

I still get GREAT results with Easy-Off oven cleaner. It has never ate the plastic. The only paint issue is that I have never had good results with acrylics.

Mark

ELO is in stock at eHobbies -

8 oz size @ $ 8.99 + S&H

http://www.ehobbies.com/flo542143.html

Thanks, Ralph--I started to search for it, but got interrupted.

Use this stuff outside, by the way, and wear rubber (not latex) gloves. The fumes are overpowering and it can cause your skin to peel.

Ralph

Thanks for all of your replies.

It's Polly-Scale amd Testors acrylic paint over Krylon primer.

Actually, nail polish remover took them both off down to bare plastic, but I had to scrub the heck out of it. I have used that in the past for small stuff but not a whole model. I might try the ammonia / sanding combination.

The kicker is that I didn't even need the darn primer. I had forgotten to prime the wheel covers and drop tanks but painted them anyway. Paint went on fine. Those are gorgeous. :smiley24:

Thanks,

Mike

WOW!

Extra strength nail polish remover. I wiped the model with that using those cotton pads ladies use to remove makeup. Worked like a charm! A minimum amount of scrubbing took paint and primer off cleanly. No soaking. Total control over what got removed. No effect on the putty or glue near as I can tell.

Good stuff!