From 1:350 to 1:400

Can anyone help? I am wondering how to resize color templates from 1:350 scale to 1:400 scale for a ship model I am planning to work on. Specifically, I have the Heller 1:400 Gneisenau. If anyone here has any ideas, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

If I have done these calculations correctly: (1) Obviously,  a 1/350 scale model will be larger than a 1/400 scale model. (2) 1/350 is .00285 - rounded off to five places. (3) 1/400 is .00250 . (4) .00285 divided by .00250 is 1.1428. So, again, if I have done this right, you would need a copier that will “ blow up” a plan in one percent increments, selecting a setting of 1.14 percent. ( I do not think copiers go to thousandths.) I have a commercial grade copier in my office that will do this but a retail copy service I am sure would have such copiers also. Nick

Ignore this. See below. Sorry

Edited by Nick Filippone

I went back to reread your first post. I think I goofed. You are building in the smaller scale. In that case, you must reduce your 1/350 scale plan to .875 to get to a 1/400 scale plan. Again, a good copier should be able to do this as well.

My most common math error- failure to accurately read the question! 

Nick

• Like 1

Nick, thanks for getting back to me on this.

Bob

Take them to your local copy shop. Just tell them what you want to do and they have the equipment to do it. Will cost you, of course, but you'll get accurate, clear prints. 

I think we need a review of fractions. Fun Fact: The bottom number in any fraction (1/2, 1/100, 1/350, etc.) is called the denominator. Say it with me: dee-nomm-inn-ater.

1. To convert from one scale to another, the rule is: Denominator of the scale you have divided by denominator of the scale you want. So if you have a plan in 1/350 and want to convert it to 1/400, simply divide 350 by 400: 350/400 = 0.875.

2. Now, convert that to a percentage, because just about every copier uses percentage to enlarge or reduce. How do we convert to percentage? Multiply the result obtained in Step 1 by 100: 0.875 x 100 = 87.5%. If the copier you are using does not allow fractions of a per cent, then round up or down at your discretion.

Study this. Learn this. There will be a quiz tomorrow. Bring a #2 pencil and your Big Chief tablet to class.

• Haha 1