2020 National Convention: Canceled for 2020 - Rescheduled for 2023

The following is a joint announcement from the San Marcos 2020 Convention Leadership team and the IPMS USA Executive Board.

We jointly appreciate all the feedback we received regarding this year‘s convention. We’ve taken your comments and concerns into careful consideration, while maintaining an ongoing dialogue and negotiation with the Embassy Suites convention center in San Marcos. These negotiations have been proceeding carefully due to the significant financial exposure that IPMS would be subject to if we simply decided to cancel the convention unilaterally.

We are now prepared to announce that the 2020 National Convention is officially canceled. While this may disappoint many, including your authors, we believe it is the prudent, safe and sensible thing to do.

On a more positive note, we have been successful in negotiating the use of the Embassy Suites San Marcos location for the 2023 convention. Therefore, the rotation for the next three years, circumstances permitting, will be Las Vegas in 2021, Omaha in 2022, and San Marcos in 2023. Tentative dates for the 2023 convention will be August 2nd through the 5th. We are currently finalizing details of the contract with Embassy Suites and expect a finalized version within a week.

For those who have registered already for the convention, we will be processing your refunds. For those who have booked hotel reservations at one of the convention center hotels, it will be up to you to cancel those on your own. Vendors will be refunded their money for tables as well through our vendor coordinator, Craig Gregory. Chapters and individuals who have sponsored contest categories may also receive refunds for their sponsorships.

Again, we want to thank you all for your patience and support during these trying times, and hope that you recognize we have made the best possible decision for all under the circumstances.

For any questions please contact John Noack at: IPMSPresident@ipmsusa.org

Or Len Pilhofer at: director.nats2020@gmail.com

Respectfully submitted,

Len Pilhofer, 2020 Convention Chairman 

John Noack IPMS USA President

• Like 1

Len, a big thank you to you and the San Marcos Convention team for all the hard work you put into this. We are all disappointed that there won’t be a 2020 Convention, but it was the right thing to do. We can all look forward to great conventions in Las Vegas, Omaha and San Marcos in 2021-2023.

Mike

• Like 2

I echo Mike O’s comments, Len and appreciate all the time and effort you and your team have put in. I’m sure the 2023 show will be worth the wait!

• Like 2

Tough call but the right call.  Thanks for all of your hard work, looking forward to San Marcos 2023! 

joe

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear this. Having worked on the 2012 Nationals, I know y'all have been working your tails off the last two years. It really sucks to see all your work get flushed, especially less than a month out. Hopefully, all the scientist working on a vaccine will get one ready, so we can put this disease behind us and meet next year in Las Vegas.

Take care, and stay safe.

• Like 1

Sad news.  We in Las Vegas know first hand how much effort and hard work you and your team have put into this.  Please convey our appreciation to your team for everything they put into this endeavor.  Best Regards to all.    Bob

• Like 1

Adding my thanks to the San Marcos team and the Eboard for working together to come to the best outcome that this crazy year can give us at this point in time. Looking forward to 2023!

Gil :smiley16:

Having helped organise the ModelKraft show here in the UK and having to deal with the Arena when we had to cancel the show in May I fully appreciate all the hard work Team Teaxs have put in over the last few years and what a blow this cancelation must have been for them

Ever since I met the organisers at Chattanooga last year and booked our trade space I knew they were going to organise a great show.

But all that hard work has not been in vane, as not many US groups get to run a second nationals so closely and with the experience they now have I am sure 2023 will  be a lot easier for them and a great show.

And all of the Scale Aviation Modeller team will be eagerly looking  forward to our first visit to Texas, just a few years later than we  had hoped.

• Like 1

I’m very sorry to learn of this year’s IPMS Nationals cancellation. Many thanks to all for the hard work involved. It’s such a terrible disappointment. I look forward to the 2023 Nationals. 

Mark

While I'm disappointed that Nationals was cancelled for this year, I completely understand. Just a bummer as this was going to be my first Nationals and not far from me.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will the Embassy Suites still be the hosting site in San Marcos TX?

Edited by Stikpusher

Yup, I saw that yesterday… I’m not one to plan that far in advance, but the old lady does, soooooo….

Edited by Stikpusher