Hobby Boss 1/48 F-14B for a good friend

GRB

Hi all,

A good friend of mine, Mr. Tomcat, loves the VF-32 #162916, as it sat after her last cruse, loaded with 6 missiles (AIM-54C) so I decided to build it for him. I am just starting this one and it has a long way to go, no sanding or filling yet and the HUD section is just there for pics. All tips and hints are welcome, I plan to update pics of progress weekly, I can work on projects on the weekend at this time.

Thanks 

F-14B.jpg

F-14B1.jpg

F-14B3.jpg

Edited by GRB
  • Like 1

Looking good.  I'm in the same boat.  I have 2 P-51's on the bench and can only work on them Friday & Saturday.

Thanks Nicholas, 

It seems with this build, I will skip around for the sake of time. When I get to the point of letting something dry or set, I think I will go ahead and start on the AIM-54's. I have the decal set for this bird but it only has the yellow/blue stripes and I need the brown for this active buffalo load-out. That way I can get them together and filled and start the tedious job of painting them. Do you think it will be easier for me to paint the brown and yellow and then use thin tape to cover those colors while I spray the remaining gray and white? Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have a certain way to paint multi colored weapons that helps the realism? 

Thanks in advance

Nothing in the world wrong with that system.  I'm making my 1st serious attempt at using Eduard PE on both P-51's.  I can usually get 1 or 2 small pieces glued in place.  Then I have to walk away from it for a couple hours.

I usually paint light to dark colors.  That way you won't have a problem with darker colors showing through the lighter colors.  The only exception to that rule would be to use a white primer before spraying any other colors.  That will give you a good base color to build on.  Allow plenty of time for the paints to cure before applying any tape.  Otherwise you may windup lifting paint.  Since the AIM-54's were overall white, you might start with a white primer, add your other colors, & finish with a gloss or semi-gloss clear finish.  I like whatever name Johnson & Johnson is calling Future these days (It looks like Pledge Multi-Surface Floor Finish is the current name).

Thanks Nicholas, 

I do have future and will be using it for sure here. My plan was, looking at the attached photo for color guide, starting with a white primer (Good tip thank you), then yellow and brown stripes, then using thin tape over the yellow and brown and slowly build up the gray off the AIM-54. In my twisted mind it seems to work LOL. The  The decals set for 162916 are pretty cool, still need to match the blue/black to the decals but I will take my time there and let any paint I try (On extra plastic) dry completely over primer to get an exact match. 

Thanks, 

load out.jpg

Gary,

The wash in the nose gear bay looks great. It really stands out. I’m still using enamel’s. The washes that I use are mineral spirit based. They sometime don’t turn out that well.  You’ve nailed it!

Chris

Thank you Chris, I appreciate that. this is a good time to share a learned lesson. I used a Vallejo white acrylic and then forgot to clear it, I normally do. I really thought I was going to have a mess, until I took a breath and dipped the Q-tip into water and went to work. I found I was able to manipulate, for things like wheel bays anyway, the flow even better and leave more here and less there, I still need to use the brown, but I will wait until it is completed and then add grime. I do that because I tend to add too much at this stage and can't see the "Whole" picture.

Know your limits LOL good advice for me anyway. 

Thanks,