Newbie Academy AH-1Z Build

MWS

This is my attempt at the Academy AH -1Z. The added pictures are pretty late in the construction and paint. I found this forum looking for reference on the door hinges, exhaust and under wing ordinance.  Please do not be to harsh as this is only my second attempt after a near 30 year layoff.

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

That looks like fantastic progress. Especially for someone who’s been away from the hobby for 30 years. Don’t worry about people being harsh. I’ve never seen, or experienced that on this forum. If anything, you’ll get all the help you need, as long as you ask. Keep those pictures coming!

Chris

Mark I see no reason to be harsh. This is exceptional work! Far better than I could do on this model. You've done a beautiful job so far, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

We're almost always our own harshest critics....I have to agree with the Duke, looking good to me! Finish it up, learn from it and apply those to the next build. Looking forward to seeing your finished pics!

Gil :smiley16:

Looks great Mark. The detail painting on the rotor head is crisp and clean. The Hellfire’s and 2.75” rocket pods look sharp as well. Things are really coming together now. Your in the homestretch buddy!. I’m really excited to see the finished model.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished.  I now know the meaning of "fiddyly bits". Let's see I broke the hell fire assembly, the low air speed sensor, the inspection handle on the tail, the main rotor control rods, and a sidewinder.  I want to thank Chris for his advice and encouragement.

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

Edited by MWS
Did not upload photos

Very nice looking bird. Sensor ball looks good with your add-one.  Interesting color you used on the lenses. What did you use to color the Hellfire lenses? 

Chris

I used testor's model master guards red on the tip of the hellfires then cemented the lenses. I had used the sensor mask to cut a holographic "decal" from a holiday bag but in the end decided not to.  I colored the inside with a purple sharpie on the large lens and a yellow one on the smaller lens. The guts slipped while drying so the projectors did not line up properly.

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement.  My family wants to know how come the rest of the internet aren't as nice and positive as you guys.  Thank you

21 hours ago, MWS said:

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement.  My family wants to know how come the rest of the internet aren't as nice and positive as you guys.  Thank you

Probably because the rest of the internet ain't model builders! LOL! 🤣

• 2 weeks later...