Clear acrylic narnishes

I am seeking acrylic clear coats (gloss, semigloss, clear) to use. It would be mostly spray painted. I have been mostly using ModelMaster Acryl clear varnishes, but since that line is being discontinued, I am seeking other options. Can anyone help me find the best ones to use, based on personal experience? Any help you can give is most welcome. Thank you in advance.

Bob

Speaking for myself; I've always had great luck with Future; now known as Pledge Floor Care. In order to make it flat or semi-gloss; I just mixed in Tamiya Flat Base in varying degrees to achieve the level of 'flatness' you're looking for. Be careful to keep the ratio of Future to flatbase about 55:45 or you risk 'frosting' your model. If that happens, just shoot a straight gloss coat on it again and the frosting will go away.

Another alternative to a gloss acrylic is the Alclad Clearcoat. It goes on smooth, but my own issue was that I'd get a lot of runs from it since it is already so thin. That is all on me; I was too impatient and tended to shoot it on thick.

Aside from those; I'm not familiar with other alternatives. Someone more knowledgeable will be along with more options.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Gloss:  Future (or whatever they call it these days).

Flat: Either Vallejo Matt Varnish or Liquitex Matte Varnish.  In all reality, they're probably close to being the same thing.

Semi-gloss:  Either Vallejo Semi-Matt Varnish or the Liqitex Matte Varnish, un-stirred and unshaken.

I thin Future with Isopropyl Alcohol, about 50-50.  It is certainly thin enough to spray from the bottle, but I find the alcohol helps it to dry faster, and it does not dry to a mirror gloss but rather a smooth, slick, almost eggshell finish.  I leave it to dry/cure for 36-48 hours before I start applying decals.  If you get frosty patches from decal solvents, simply overspray the model with another coat of Future before you apply the final matte or semi-matte finish.

Be careful with the flat clears mentioned--it is really easy to go just one coat too fat and wind up wit a white haze on the model.  I normally invert the bottle once or twice (no shaking or stirring) and apply it in a few light mist coats.  It doesn't take much.

Thanks, Ralph.

Thanks, Mark.