shining decals

bmill245

Hey guys. Today I put a few small decals on the ship I was building and I've noticed that when you hold them at a certain angle they start to "shine." (Not sure of the correct term) Does anyone have suggestions of what I can do to take the shine away? Thanks. Brian M

Brian,

It's one of two things causing the shine- reflection of light or what's commonly referred to as silvering. If the whole decal shines, it's most likely just reflection of light which has an easy remedy- dullcoat. If only certain parts of the decal shine, then it's silvering. Silvering is caused by air trapped under the decal. There are several remedies that can be done to fix this. The first is to remove the air by poking tiny holes (with a needle or exacto blade) in the decal and apply a decal setting solution. The second would be to remove the decal and apply another over a glosscoat.

hth,

Greg

Guest Bun E. Carlos

Bri........in the future, you can prevent this by glossing the area first with FUTURE....let it dry.......then place your decal in the apporiate spot.....add decal solution.........when dry, apply FUTURE over the decal, sealing it......then after it is dry apply your Flat Coat or finishing coat. It will also help to use fairly new decals. Older ones do have issues.

Something to do to try and fix what's already on the model: Take a sharp #11 blade and poke some holes in the decal. Apply some Future with a brush, the holes in the decal will allow the Future to wick under it. That may fix the issue. As Jack said, next time, apply some Future first, let it dry, then apply the decal.

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...