Kyaaten Build Log

Roktman

This is another nice little bust I saw on the New Announcements group on FB. It's approximately 200mm and sculpted by Joaquin Palacios for Epica Tales.
The model comes in three resin pieces - the bust, the arm, and the column base. You need to supply your own rod connecting the bust to the base. She also comes with her own sticker.  It's an excellent sculpt and cast with no bubbles or seams apparent.

IMG_0745.jpg

Thinking Middle eastern I used a flesh that was a little darker than normal. I also gave her dark hair.  One other thing is I goofed while drilled the hole for the rod. The bottom cut is a lot more steep than other busts, and in a Aves and a second try.
It was right at this point of the build when one morning I heard a bang coming from the attic. I went up to investigate to find somehow a Starling had gotten in.  Of course it flew around and landed on the desk knocking the model over and of course breaking the little knife she's holding off.  A bird in the house must be bad luck as I don't know whether the bird or the carpet monster ate it, but it's never been seen again. I'll have a cut another out of sheet styrene.  

IMG_0786.jpg

I've seen some that give her an almost completely transparent top. I wanted to try something close (never done it before), but maybe not as far as some others take it.  I started out by covering all the surrounding skin with Silly Putty.

IMG_0795.jpg

Where the cloth pulled tight I only misted the off white color, and gave a little more coverage by her neck and waist. I added pure white at the tops of the wrinkles, and then lightly brushed on some of the pearlizing paint on the top and bottom for a little extra shine. The part that was the skirt got full coverage.

On a different project I noticed that Green Stuff World's metallic paint behaved badly if put on top of a gloss black. But gave a terrific two tone metallic if painted over white. So I painted all the jewelry with white and then used a blue and red. The effect turned out pretty well.  The parts that I wanted to be gold got the usual gloss black coating.  

IMG_0812.jpg

I painted her lips with V's Cavalry Brown which is a dark red, added a highlight then to match up some of the metallic green I used elsewhere on the model, I gave her green eyes. A little eye shadow and blush from pastels finished off her face.
Then I painted up the column base with V's Dark Sand, and pulled out my Mummy bust to remind myself of what I did with that base, then more of less copied it. The column looked a little thin so I found a 40mm plastic base. I glued the column on, and then filled around it with V's ground texture. A wash of Sepia on the sand, and painted the rim a black brown and I was done. Thanks for looking.

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 6/22/2020 at 9:53 AM, WildBill50 said:

All of the colors look great on the jewelry.

Your flesh tones are great for that desert tan.

Overall I'll just say...Purrfect!

Bill

Thank you!

• 3 months later...