Still trying to figure out the right colors for the Reliant

Eric

Thanks for the input about the base color for the ship.  The color guide with the kit says to use Duck Egg Blue for the two large panel on the upper aft of the hull and for the large panel on the lower aft of the hull.  From all the photos I can find it looks more of a bluish gray color not Duck Egg Blue.  Maybe it should be the Intermediate Blue but that looks to Blue compared to what photos I've seen. Don't really want to mess around mixing paints, so wondered what anyone else used for these panels.  

Eric

I was told that on the studio models, the lighting used tended to change the color of the model during shooting. The original Enterprise I'm told had a light green tint to it that faded to the white-ish color you see on the TV show. I don't know for certain what original color the Reliant was during shooting, maybe checking on CulTVman's site might give some more comprehensive  explanations.

As I have been told several times, you are the one person that has to look at the model every time you walk by. My suggestion would be, whatever color looks right to your eye IS the right color.

If someone tells me the color or a detail of some sci-fi subject i have built isn't correct, my response is "It is in my universe." 

Edited by AZRhino
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

I love it Mike! Yeah, I don't think there are Federal Standards for anything interstellar.

But there are Star Fleet color standards:

Star+Fleet+Technical+Manual+colors.jpg?f

But there are Star Fleet color standards:

Listen guys, this organization may be imaginary, but they've got standards! 🤣

Gotta love Star Trek, and the Reliant is one of my favorite ships. I really hope you changed that prefix code!

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

It really depends upon whether you want to emulate the filming model or the appearance of the ship on screen.  The TOS entrprise went through several iterations between the pilot and the following three seasons, very different paint schemes.  There's a great set of videos on YouTube on the Smithsonian restoration of the filming model and the considerations they took to make it look right.  Toss in the movie versions and you have a lot of variety!  I really like the iridescent, sparkly white paint on the various movie's Federation ships.

The nice thing is that there's almost as much 'reference' material on Star Trek as there is on our military subjects!  

Now I have to go watch a couple episodes . . .  😁