Airfix 1/48 Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib

davenport49

This is the Airfix Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib (A05134). I have finished it to resemble 7L, #V7015, the last operational Sea Hurricane and a participant in Operation Pedestal. The kit is beautiful and went together smoothly. However, it has some important omissions! Sea Hurricanes had a headrest mounted on the armor plate behind the seat. And on either side of the radiator housing was a catapult spool. The kit has spools, D41 & D42, but these are seriously out of scale; and there is no mention of them in the instructions. I had to use pieces from the Italeri kit to mold these pieces to correct the final replica.

366 Hawker Sea Hurricane Ib.jpg

IMG_3201.JPG

Excellent looking model of a lesser known variant! I've always felt the Hurricane overall gets the short shrift most of the time in the tall shadow of the more storied Spitfire. That's a great tribute to the harder working Hurricane for your collection!

Gil :smiley16:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2020 at 9:27 PM, ghodges said:

Excellent looking model of a lesser known variant! I've always felt the Hurricane overall gets the short shrift most of the time in the tall shadow of the more storied Spitfire. That's a great tribute to the harder working Hurricane for your collection!

Gil :smiley16:

Having seen your work in the Journal many times, I appreciate the kind word.  I toured Malta a few years ago and have been fascinated by its history, emphasized all the more during WWII.  So I love the opportunity to replicate some of that history as a tribute.  Operation Pedestal was one of the most dramatic and consequential operations in the Mediterranean and the Sea Hurricanes were an essential part of its success.  My next project will be a Ju87 used by the Regia Aeronautica in their attacks to try to force Malta into submission.

Nice work Richard!

Mark