Hello fellow modelers! I'm branching out from science fiction builds and trying a WWII piston powered plane, the P-51D. I'm also using the Eduard Zoom PE prepainted cockpit detail set for this model, but I'm not very impressed by it. Don't get me wrong, Eduard makes great PE, but I probably won't be getting the prepainted stuff again. I've had to mask parts of it and the paint peeled right off leaving bare metal beneath it. Fixable? Sure. A pain? That too. 

The cockpit is pretty well done - I did some light chipping with silver and an oil wash of engine grease over the zinc chromate green. That was my first time using an oil wash I made myself versus a pre-packaged enamel wash from Tamiya. I don't think I'll ever go back, as you have so much more control over consistency and transparency. Plus the oil works as a filter, and doesn't dry splotchy like the enamels always seem to. 

I plan on hitting the cockpit with some matte clear tonight, then buttoning up the fuselage when that's all dry.

If you've got any tips, tricks, or constructive criticism I'm all ears (eyes?). 

IMG_2826.JPEG

IMG_2827.JPEG

IMG_2824.JPEG

IMG_2823.JPEG

IMG_2825.JPEG

Looks sharp to me! My only suggestion would be that after you matte everything, go back and add a drop of Future or Micro-Clear to each of the dials on the main panel. Staying tuned for more!

Gil :smiley16:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gil! I didn’t even think of that but it’s going on the to do list now for sure. I’m pretty sure I’ve got a bottle of that laying around somewhere... 😀

Paul, it’s looking good. Future Floor Wax has been known in recent years as Pledge Floor Care instead. So when you buy it don’t expect to see the old Future label anymore. Once you get the hang of using it you will find it very valuable. Go to You Tube and there are plenty of how to’s for using this product. Happy Modeling.

Mark

Thanks to Gil & Mark for the suggestion to put some shine back on the gauges. I used a bit of Micro Kristal Klear dabbed on each dial with a toothpick. Actually, it's one of those fancy metal toothpicks you can reuse, and I will say they're a lot more useful than they sound.

Some of the "glass" domes are a bit cloudy but they look good on the whole. I think part of the MKK was a bit too dry near the cap so it went on a tad funny. Regardless, like most mistakes you can chalk that one up to "weathering." What pilot wouldn't scratch his dashboard wriggling out of that tiny cockpit? 

I did think about using Future (or Pledge, or whatever we're calling it now... I have enough for about three lifetimes considering the size of the bottle) but I was afraid it'd run. 

I think tonight I'll add the oil cooler, which I just finished painting, and then button up the halves of the fuselage! Exciting stuff. I may even break out the somewhat-overly-complex Touch-N-Flow-N-Spill. 😂

03451e1b-a4e5-4b2e-aff4-b8bfa40feffc.thumb.jpg.584565bb74074e359af37a124c582571.jpg

Please don't use these close ups to make copies of my fingerprints and frame me for crimes. Thank you. 

• Like 1

Paul, beautiful cockpit! Way to go man!

Mark, thanks for the new name for Future; now I can go look for more.

Thanks Mark!

I got the fuselage halves together the night before last, and started sanding the seam yesterday evening. I think I'm going to have to re-scribe some of those fine panel lines, but that shouldn't be too difficult. The rivets, on the other hand, may prove a challenge. I imagine I'll have a bit of polishing to do, too, so I can get that shiny bare metal finish I'm after. I'll keep you updated!

Really nice work Paul. Instrument panel..👍👍👍. Got a love a Mustang!

I feel like being in isolation I should bet getting more done, but real life is not respectful of how dedicated I am to my hobby. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Here're two more WIP photos where it actually starts looking like a plane. 

IMG_2861.JPEG

IMG_2862.JPEG

• Like 1