Larger Serial Numbers/Letters for 1/48” Scale Tempest II

aAzZ09

I am converting a Napier Sabre powered Eduard 1/48” scale Tempest Mk. V to a Bristol Centaurus radial engined Tempest Mk. II. Due to illnesses in the family, I have not had the time to research the online hobby shops lately. I am just now getting the chance to do that. The letter and number decal sheets I have are simply not big or quite accurate enough to cover the bottom port and starboard wing areas. I could modify the decal sheets I have by grafting pieces of other decal sheets to the ones I have. Rather than do that, does anyone know offhand where I may find  more accurate lettering/numbers online? Many thanks guys and stay safe.

Mark

245DC66A-82DA-4369-A37F-44F206B2B23B.jpeg

You might try searching for some dry transfer lettering, such as used by architects. These can be found at any large art supply store (especially on campus) and come in a lot of fonts and sizes. Black is very common, but white ones can be used as masks by painting the black, applying the white letters, painting your underside color, and then using tape to pull the numbers back off. If you don't have a good store near you, you might try searching on line. Hope this helps!

Gil :smiley16:

Thanks Gil. I may have to go online for those sheets now, or find pictures of a Tempest II without the underwing serial codes, which in RAF service are very scarce. The Mk. II  model came out at the end of WW2 to replace some of the Mark Vs and Mark VIs. The photos tend to show mostly post war markings of RAF Mk.IIs stationed in Germany and the Middle East. The Mk. II later served as the prototype to serve the Royal Navy as the Sea Fury used in the Korean War and the surplus models sold for air racing. 

Mark

D5674B41-0D5B-4977-BE6D-A13ACA806F78.jpeg

A decal company called Fantasy Printshop does RAF serials up to a scale 30” for 1/48 subjects. (They have smaller sizes, also.) A 30” serial would be 5/8 inches high. Would that be big enough? Regards, Nick Filippone 

That would be great Nick. I will check that out. From the photos I have, it appears that the RAF chose large “buzz” or serial numbers for the Tempests and other aircraft at the end of WW II. The ones I have are too small and were left over from past projects. A photo example of what I’m looking for is illustrated below. Many thanks!

Mark

A5761EC4-20A3-412B-B269-9800EF189A2C.jpeg

• Like 1