Returning to Hobby/Newbie

Dave57

I used to build diaramas and models as a kid and teenager but got away from it now for many years. However, now that I am semi-retired, I am getting much more interested in taking up the hobby again! I have started by reading up on techniques, tools, airbrushing,etc. If anyone can recommend publications, clubs, etc. I would appreciate it.

I have joined the IPMS/USA but no one has replied to my email inquiries regarding the chapters.

Thanks to everyone and I look forward to my "new" hobby!

Dave Lowry

Hayward, California

Well, You appear to be in the area of six or seven local chapters around the bay area. Check the chapter listings off the Home page of the website.

As for publications, I recommend AFV Modeller and Airmodeller magazines along with Airfix Model World and Tamiya Modeling Magazine. Military Illustrated is also good. FineScale Modeler also puts out a magazine called Damaged which has some good articles. All are available through various sources. Tile grout makes great dirt.

Dak

Welcome back Dave! Glad to see you here. Since we can't see your work at shows right now, feel free to post pics here so we can all enjoy your fine work. Look around and have fun; there's lots to see here.

Welcome Dave! Glad to hear you're returning to a hobby we all love to let suck our time and money away! :smiley2:

As pointed out, there seems to be several clubs not too far from you. Fine scale Modeler magazine covers all genres of modeling, and they have a web site and Face Book page too. Below is the link to our IPMSUSA FB page....many local clubs also have websites and FB pages, and you can be a part of any that interest you without having to live near them.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ipmsusa/?ref=bookmarks

I highly recommend joining a local club if it's practical, as nothing beats personal interaction. Just keep in mind that currently most clubs have suspended regular meetings and contests have been postponed, so it will be tougher to do this for the next couple of months. In the meantime, here and elsewhere on-line is the place to be. Glad to have ya!

Gil :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Welcome back Dave. If it’s modeling you’re after, you’ll find plenty of it here. Feel free to ask any questions. We’re here to help. Stay safe, and happy modeling.

Mark