Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I suspect they're reviewing the options they have now and working with the venue and vendors to sort it all out.  I'm sure the room cancelations are happening already and the hotel isn't in the dark.  I would even imagine lawyers are involved given the money at stake.  I suspect a response will be coming shortly.  The dominoes seem to be falling at the government level also.  People just want to know what's going on so they can go about their lives.  Silence is tough to deal with, especially for those planning on going still.  For me, I want to see how it shakes out and an explanation from leadership what help, if any, is needed.  

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always said keep people informed. Even when you know nothing and have no information, tell people that. It really does calm things.  Silence begets rumors. Rumors create fear.

If the various parties are waiting for Texas or the local community to make decisions, then say so.

They could also put a clear plan out in case it all does work out for us. Let everyone know what to expect as an attendee or vendor. Masks, tracking list, limited numbers in the  model room, maybe taking temps, etc.

Silence only breeds uncertainty. Uncertainty destroys confidence.

Dak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dakimbrell said:

I have always said keep people informed. Even when you know nothing and have no information, tell people that. It really does calm things.  Silence begets rumors. Rumors create fear.

If the various parties are waiting for Texas or the local community to make decisions, then say so.

They could also put a clear plan out in case it all does work out for us. Let everyone know what to expect as an attendee or vendor. Masks, tracking list, limited numbers in the  model room, maybe taking temps, etc.

Silence only breeds uncertainty. Uncertainty destroys confidence.

Dak

This is 100% true. No information leads people to speculate. I still have all my plans to go, I can wait a little longer but at some point I need to decide if I am going.  It is less than a month away.  As Dak said, tell us the thought process, tell us where things stand even if there isn't an update, tell us if it does happen what would be the measures in place, give some sort of update. Our local show cancelled already for October and Michigan was in the green the other day but on the way back up.  I also agree with the statement someone else made, why wasn't there show insurance?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David, DWaples, Ed, et al have all posted valid comments and concerns.  It can be argued that we shouldn't have opened the state as early as we did, that we shouldn't have done this, shouldn't have done that, etc.  All we're doing right now due to insufficient and/or inaccurate information is playing the would've, should've, could've game, which is a game where no one wins.  Currently the only one who has the most accurate information is the virus itself and its not telling us what its plans are.  Bottom line is that we need to have a little patience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Covid19 virus is particularly insidious because the symptoms come on slow and doesn’t effect everyone the same way. This has bred complacency in both political and non-political areas.

Dak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, JClark said:

Let's think this through and think ahead. What does everyone want the E-boatd to say ? 

  1) Were waiting to see what happens.... then everyone piles on them for not canceling now to save mankind as we know it.

 2) Were cancelling. Great then what happens? everyone cancelles their room nights, the hotel sees whats up and starts asking questions as to why? which will adverse effect us in the contract. 

  AGAIN it may very well be that the Eboard is planning on cancelling, But they 1) are hoping the state closes to save the 6 figures and 2) staying silent to protect their contractual position. This being fiscally responsible to the national membership as a whole , which is far from the accusations being throw at them for being silent. 

   Give em a break and let it play out.

 

Jim

I agree with Jim.  IF the force majeure clause contract between IPMS and the venue does not include broad language allowing IPMS to cancel without penalty in the event that circumstances APPEAR that attendance will be way down, the IPMS leadership is obligated to let this ride in hopes that a government agency imposes a restriction that gives them an escape without penalty.

IF there is a broad-language force major clause that allows them to cancel if it appears that attendance will be way down, I don't see how they could publicly say "don't come" - as this statement by the leadership could be seen by a legal eagle as CAUSING the attendance to go down, thus nullifying the majeure protections. 

However, if they remain silent, and simply present to the venue the figures that IPMS has regarding cancellations, and that the venue sees itself in cancellations, the two entities may agree to allow cancellation without penalty.   That is the reason that I cancelled my reservation as soon as I decided it was too risky for me to be there.  

In the event none of these things play out, there is always the option for the leadership to cancel a few days out and take the financial hit.  Will this inconvenience some members, yes, some even financially, but the leadership has an obligation to look after the interests of the organization as a whole, even if they know doing so will present hardships for some members individually.

Selling books, people handle the books, we handle the books, the next person handles the books, plenty of chances for passing the virus around. While we do take precautions, there is always an element of risk, and that we try to minimize. Tight quarters for vendors, and the attitude of some vendors (and buyers) of, "I'm not taking any precautions because I don't want to," means that no longer can I simply refuse to serve those that I feel are putting me at risk, the close quarters means just being there is risky to me.  

Back in March Denise and I drove from Memphis to Michigan for a show, and literally the day we got into town, the show was cancelled (Wednesday before a Saturday event).  Was this inconvenient for us - you bet.  Was it the right call on the part of the show leadership?  Absolutely, and the frustration for the inconvenience to us was over in ten minutes, but the feeling for them making the right call remains - and we'll go back.

Regards,

David Doyle

www.DavidDoyleBooks.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either way, it is obvious that substantial financial loss is inevitable; taking this as the worst case scenario, why don´t we collaborate and propose ways to help IPMS out of the reds? I propose a National Benefit Model Swap, all proceedings for IPMS, I find no problem in giving away a few boxes, surely many will be ready to help, and some others will find peace of mind finding that obscure piece of plastic in their dreams. Any other ideas?

Cheerio

MikeN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Either way, it is obvious that substantial financial loss is inevitable; taking this as the worst case scenario, why don´t we collaborate and propose ways to help IPMS out of the reds? I propose a National Benefit Model Swap, all proceedings for IPMS, I find no problem in giving away a few boxes, surely many will be ready to help, and some others will find peace of mind finding that obscure piece of plastic in their dreams. Any other ideas?

Cheerio

MikeN

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ghodges said:

Kevin...First of all, WHAT can they say that has not been said here? The situation is in flux, data and info is changing week to week, if not day to day, and yet it sounds like you want to have them give some sort of "definite" statement. The same goes for the San Marcos hosts, who HAVE stated that they are in constant touch with the hotel and the local county officials and do make periodic statements.

 

Gil,

What I would like to see is what the current thinking is and what options are open to us from their standpoint. That is, what are the markers they are looking for to determine if it is a go or not. How many do they realistically expect to attend. How would they practise social distancing and the issue of masks -what is their thinking on this. If they cancel, how much does IPMS look to lose financially. How could the membership help out - sort of a self generated gofundme - to offset that. If they don't cancel how much do they stand to lose by people not showing up. How does the vendor situation stand. How about the banquet. What are their thoughts on judging. Is there any way to conduct an online nationals.

I could go on, but basically (I know, Judge Judy hates that word) what are their thoughts on this. At least then we would have something to consider from the leadership standpoint. Staying silent when so many are frustrated and wondering is what leads to even more frustration and wondering. Tell me - us - where we stand right now and I can deal with that. I realize that may change, but it gives a frame of reference.

I am not trying to bust anyone's cojones.  I like many others just want some acknowledgement that we are all in this together and how can we help, other than by standing around silent with our thumbs...well, you get the idea.

When I managed Tech Support for Blue Cross, the one thing I drilled into my staff was communicate, communicate, communicate. Soemone has a down PC - make sure you are kiiping them informed as to what is happening. The other thing I drilled into them was give the client options. You may not solve their problem right away but at least the client will know they are not forgotten.

That's what I'm looking for, since you asked.

Kevin

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll speak to the judging issue.    The NCC is working on a plan to have the teams of three doing independent evaluation and each member produce a ranked list of their top 5 or 6 entries in a category.  The lists will then be merged in a form of rank choice voting to determine final placement.   Detais are still being worked out.   There were other options; popular vote and single person judging were discussed and discarded.

As of last week,  all of the NCC judges have indicated that they are planning on attending.   However  Eileen Persichetti has said she will not be going .  The efforts to crunch the numbers to produce the results in time for the awards may be difficult.

I suggested that Mark Persichetti say what our plan B was going to be.  We'll catch flak one way or another.   Perhaps better before than during & after.

Ed Grune -- NCC Ship Judge

Edited by EFGrune

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as dioramas get judged well. They are the only really important categories. 

Dak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dakimbrell said:

As long as dioramas get judged well. They are the only really important categories. 

Dak

I think Phil Perry is working on a bounce-height test for that category🤥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin

     AGAIN.... loose lips sink ships. If the Eboard says anything then that can and will be used against IPMS if a breach of contract suit is brought . So AGAIN... if they tell the membership anything and the reservations plummeted that information can be used against IPMS. David's post brings up the point where the show was cancelled once they got there. Inconvenient yes but it may have saved that shows organizers. 

    IPMS can't afford to tip its hand whatever it may be at this point. Its really not a hard concept to understand. This thing can still go one of several ways. We don't know the behind the scene things going on for a reason. The main one being need to know, and right now we don't need to know. You can cancell room reservations up to 3 days prior to the start. Im pretty sure we will know something by then. Drive time , let's say 2 days prior , we should also know by then. Airlines, I know some who haven't made their reservations yet just waiting to hear, once they do then they will make their decisions. So right now its only for convenience for the membership to know. Someone said were under a month out,  well last I checked it starts on July 29 its june 25 so more that a month out.

  Let the elected leaders do their jobs.  When the Ebaord is in a position to make an announcement they will,  until then why berate the point. And ultimately if you don't like what they did dont vote for them again, or better yet, run for office and present your platform for what you would have dont differently to save the organization 100k or more.

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon, modeling friends. I do not want to speak on behalf of any 2020 Nats coordinators or officials, but I will share this: It is my understanding, having communicated with one of the contest workers, is that the national organization currently has legal counsel going over the contract with a fine tooth comb. They are also in regular discussion with Embassy Suites leadership. All parties are closely monitoring the communications from the Texas Department of Health and Human Services as well as from the office of Governor Abbott, and this in large part is affecting both the decision making process and the timing thereof. Granted, the ground truth changes almost daily, but it is my understanding that a decision is expected by 30 days out from the convention start date, which by my calendar should be this coming Monday, the 29th. As such, I think it prudent to wait until Monday night. Thirty days out is sufficient time, in my opinion, for anyone to make travel plan changes without financial penalties. Happy modeling. ✌🏼❤️🍺

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK. Jim and Stewart. That makes a lot of sense. I will defer to your suggestions.

Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And there you have it sports fans. Quicker than you expected. Hats off to the San Marcos crew and this gives you time to recoup for Aug 2nd/5th 2023. 

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Nats has been cancelled, below is the official email I just got...

 

The following is a joint announcement from the San Marcos 2020 Convention Leadership team and the IPMS USA Executive Board.

 

We jointly appreciate all the feedback we received regarding this year‘s convention. We’ve taken your comments and concerns into careful consideration, while maintaining an ongoing dialogue and negotiation with the Embassy Suites convention center in San Marcos. These negotiations have been proceeding carefully due to the significant financial exposure that IPMS would be subject to if we simply decided to cancel the convention unilaterally.

 

We are now prepared to announce that the 2020 National Convention is officially canceled. While this may disappoint many, including your authors, we believe it is the prudent, safe and sensible thing to do.

 

On a more positive note, we have been successful in negotiating the use of the Embassy Suites San Marcos location for the 2023 convention. Therefore, the rotation for the next three years, circumstances permitting, will be Las Vegas in 2021, Omaha in 2022, and San Marcos in 2023. Tentative dates for the 2023 convention will be August 2nd through the 5th. We are currently finalizing details of the contract with Embassy Suites and expect a finalized version within a week.

 

For those who have registered already for the convention, we will be processing your refunds. For those who have booked hotel reservations at one of the convention center hotels, it will be up to you to cancel those on your own. Vendors will be refunded their money for tables as well through our vendor coordinator, Craig Gregory. Chapters and individuals who have sponsored contest categories may also receive refunds for their sponsorships.

 

Again, we want to thank you all for your patience and support during these trying times, and hope that you recognize we have made the best possible decision for all under the circumstances.

 

Gil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a bunch of weenies! Just because of a pandemic and people dying all around is no reason to cancel! A zombie apocalypse would never stop us! Civil War would stop us ! Well all put on hazmat suits and make it work!!!! Take to the streets and burn a few cars! Who’s with me?

Oh wait. My wife says no. Oh darn.

Good luck and stay safe. 

Dak

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EFGrune said:

I'll speak to the judging issue.    The NCC is working on a plan to have the teams of three doing independent evaluation and each member produce a ranked list of their top 5 or 6 entries in a category.  The lists will then be merged in a form of rank choice voting to determine final placement.   Detais are still being worked out.   There were other options; popular vote and single person judging were discussed and discarded.

As of last week,  all of the NCC judges have indicated that they are planning on attending.   However  Eileen Persichetti has said she will not be going .  The efforts to crunch the numbers to produce the results in time for the awards may be difficult.

I suggested that Mark Persichetti say what our plan B was going to be.  We'll catch flak one way or another.   Perhaps better before than during & after.

Ed Grune -- NCC Ship Judge

Uh-oh ... that's a dangerous step towards GSB!!!! (it's been mooted now, but still)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations doesn't quite seem like the right word.  But good choice, and it sounds like the team was able to work out a solution with the venue.  I'll be looking forward to San Marcos in 2023!  Best of luck sorting it all out and if help is needed don't hesitate to reach out to the community.  

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good decision to IPMS and the San Marcos personnel.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...