Nats 2020 & COVID-19 Update

I see the top medical people in the country saying wear a mask if you are going to be in a large group.

Why isn’t this enough for us to require attendees to wear masks? Why do we have to wait for the reluctant government of Texas to mandate such things?

Dak

• Like 1

It is unquestionable that masks reduce the spread of microorganisms that exist on the secretions of the upper respiratory system. This has been known since the early 20th century in studying the epidemiology of tuberculosis and streptococcus- related disease, amongst others. At the same time, surgeons such as myself, as well as any other person in the operating theater, were mandated to wear a mask to prevent the projection of microorganism- laden secretions into the patient’s wound. Why wouldn’t it be effective in reducing the spread of this virus? Of course masks will not stop the disease. That claim has never been made by responsible health care professionals.But in vivo experimental demonstrations have shown that the ejection of upper respiratory secretion droplets can be reduced with masks. The only way to stop it is with a vaccine or by letting everyone be exposed and either die or survive, thereby establishing “herd immunity.” As a physician, the latter is abhorrent to me. So until there is a vaccine, the best we can do is slow the pace of the spread so that hospital ICU’s will not be overwhelmed with many sick patients simultaneously.  This the masks and social distancing can do. 

But what is really disappointing is that some of the same people who contribute to this Forum, enthusiastically welcoming new members and encouraging their modeling apparently have no compunction about refusing to do the least little thing to protect them if they were to encounter them at a Nationals by wearing a mask! Goodness people, these are, supposedly, our friends. Some of us have known each other for close to half a century. And most of us are high risk. Do you really mean you would not put on a mask, required or not, for another member’s protection on a personal point of honour? 

Let’s all just try to be good soldiers, arm ourselves and look out for the other guy in the foxhole with us until the war is won!

Regards, Nick Filippone, M.D.

• Like 3

Nick,

This is what I don’t get. It is such a small thing that can help so much and the top people on the pandemic are recommending it!

I have spent 30 years working in an  environment that requires safety gear. I even worked with radioactive materials. Wearing a mask is no big deal  

Those opposed to masks run to videos and such which show masks don’t guarantee protection and have problems if worn too long. They ignore that no one says they absolutely guarantee protection. Like all safety equipment, they only improve your odds. 

Dak

• Like 2

Nick and David,

I agree with both of you completely, so I suppose it's about time i threw in my reasoning.  I am definitely in the high risk category for multiple reasons, starting with asthma combined with elements of COPD...no I've never smoked, the asthma was never properly treated for most of my life...combined with a respiratory collapse a couple or three years ago that also discovered  I have severe sleep apnea and exacerbated with a cardiological birth defect known as AV Node Re-Entry Tachycardia.  I make every effort to avoid contracting Covid-19 since doing so stands a high probability of killing me.  Does that mean I won't be attending the Nats in San Marcos?  Absolutely and you have no idea how badly I wanted to be there.  My wife is also high risk, though not to the degree I am.

That said, if I was hell bent on attending the Nats regardless of my medical problems, I would have absolutely no problems wearing a mask in order to protect not only myself but those around me.  It is simply nothing more than pure old common sense.  Given the evident resurgence of Covid-19, anyone who refuses to wear a mask at a crowded venue...except for the specific and rare situations where wearing a mask would be contradictory...needs to rethink their priorities.

Finally, at the rate things are changing re: the virus, this entire thread may be moot.  From where I sit, the odds are that the 2020 Nats will end up being cancelled is at least 50/50...and that's as I write this.  What they will be tomorrow, never mind next week, is literally anyone's guess.  If we really want to know the most accurate information, we probably need to get it straight from the horse's mouth.  Ask the virus.

Richard Marmo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dakimbrell said:

I see the top medical people in the country saying wear a mask if you are going to be in a large group.

Why isn’t this enough for us to require attendees to wear masks? Why do we have to wait for the reluctant government of Texas to mandate such things?

Dak

Hays County requires masks...I.e. where the Nats is being held requires masks...there will be MASKS!

49 minutes ago, AndrewWhite said:

Hays County requires masks...I.e. where the Nats is being held requires masks...there will be MASKS!

Is this a new requirement or the one that expires on July 20th? And what exemptions are there?

Of course, they could come out and mandate masks everywhere all the time in public. I’m betting on that because they don’t want a shut down. 

Dak

I just went online to Hays County, and this is the same order that Judge Becerra issued on Thursday that took effect yesterday. It is still set to expire on 7/20/20. Basically the order states that persons 10 and older entering a public space are to wear a mask, but there is no penalty if you do not. The Judge is hoping that everyone complies, but if not then he may reconsider the no penalty, and add one.

Considering the people that are wearing masks and wearing them wrong, I suspect it does little to no good. And the fact most people are wearing them for extended periods of time and breeding who knows what funk, we'll see how it plays out

I do like the ones that look like Jesse James though...

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmorrissette said:

Considering the people that are wearing masks and wearing them wrong, I suspect it does little to no good. And the fact most people are wearing them for extended periods of time and breeding who knows what funk, we'll see how it plays out

I do like the ones that look like Jesse James though...

Dave

I thought there was laws against breeding in public.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, John Walker said:

I just went online to Hays County, and this is the same order that Judge Becerra issued on Thursday that took effect yesterday. It is still set to expire on 7/20/20. Basically the order states that persons 10 and older entering a public space are to wear a mask, but there is no penalty if you do not. The Judge is hoping that everyone complies, but if not then he may reconsider the no penalty, and add one.

Judge Becerra’s order also directs businesses to develop and implement a plan to ensure that patrons comply with mask use.   Penalties may be borne against the business, not the individual who declines to wear a mask

A person who declines to wear a mask may be denied entry to a business.   Business licenses/occupancy permits  may be pulled if egregious.  

At least 17 bars in the state have been closed by the ABC board for failing to follow distance requirements since this weekend

This is a no win all round. The hotel cancelling because of govt. regulations would be the only lossless way out financially for IPMS-USA

• Texas covid numbers are on the upswing
  • No way to team in close proximity. Only way might be to assign one senior judge to a category and let him/her make the pick.
  • Will enough judges (regular/senior/head) attend?
  • Euro & UK vendors can't leave their country even if they could get flights
  • A banquet???  how???
  • Controlling distancing/masks etc IF there are no limits on # of bodies in facility
  • IF it goes on and IF people go, they should be ready to be disappointed in the experience.

Believe me if there were answers forthcoming to all the above I'd be going as I have for the last 30 year but as of now I don't see any answers. So unfortunately I had to cancel my plane tix to avoid losing about$500.

IMHO, cancel or continue, IPMS USA still loses money. Maybe in future a date defined bail out clause should be included in contract (Caveat: I'm no attorney so I don't even know if that's possible)

Bright Note: IF it happens and IF you attend it might be pretty easy to win an award!  😀😀😀

Why is there no response at all from either the Nats staff in Texas or from IPMS leadership? Shame on them.

• Like 2

I’ve already decided to reduce the number of my entries to one or two, if it comes off. 

I have come to accept the National probably won’t happen this year because the Texas government can’t get their act together to deal with a pandemic. 

I’m sorry to be with the negative waves like Moriarty, but I’m not seeing a good ending for this. 

Dak

• Like 1

David, I'm with you, unfortunately.  I'm also disappointed in the weak response from Texas leaders...and this includes most local as well as State.  Worse is the lack of common sense on the part of ordinary Texans. If the great majority had managed to rub two brain cells together, not only would this State be open and functioning, we wouldn't be having this discussion about the Nats.  We'd be looking forward to a great time in San Marcos.  Instead, a high percentage of Texans have demonstrated that they're at least one brain cell short of the number needed to rub together.  And before anyone says anything, you have no idea how much it pains me to make these comments about Texas.  I was born in Tennessee and got to Texas as soon as I could.  I'm a Southerner thru and thru and I expect better of Texans.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ipmsusa2 said:

David, I'm with you, unfortunately.  I'm also disappointed in the weak response from Texas leaders...and this includes most local as well as State.  Worse is the lack of common sense on the part of ordinary Texans. If the great majority had managed to rub two brain cells together, not only would this State be open and functioning, we wouldn't be having this discussion about the Nats.  We'd be looking forward to a great time in San Marcos.  Instead, a high percentage of Texans have demonstrated that they're at least one brain cell short of the number needed to rub together.  And before anyone says anything, you have no idea how much it pains me to make these comments about Texas.  I was born in Tennessee and got to Texas as soon as I could.  I'm a Southerner thru and thru and I expect better of Texans.

I’m a native Texan, and I agree!

I cancelled my room reservation earlier today. I’ll not be going.

I normally don’t stray out of the Aircraft/ Build forum. After reading all the comments on this subject, I’d like to add my “Two Cents”. Last year was my first time attending the Nationals. I saw firsthand how much hard work went into hosting one of these. I had a great time, saw some amazing models, and met some great people. I can’t wait to go to the next one.

With the current surge of COVID cases in Texas, I don’t see how our organization could proceed forward with this years Nationals. With that said, I understand what a huge loss, monetarily , it would be to our organization as a whole. Not to mention all the work and time that the team in San Marcos has sacrificed thus far. (Thank you to the San Marcos team)
             Make no mistake about it, this is a no win situation for ALL of us. Whether it’s hosted or not. If it is held, I feel the attendance would be far below where it would needs to be, to be beneficial for the organization. I could not imagine being on the board, having to make this decision.

I know that it’s “Not that easy” in making a decision like this. I do however, feel strongly that we need to hear a definitive answer from the leadership, and soon. Just my “Two Cents”

Regards

Christopher

The eternal optimist, I'm waiting a couple more weeks before I cancel any reservations. Personally, I blame the French. I'm sure this is all a plot by them to destroy the Texas wine industry for remarks by a Texan about the quality of French wine during WWII. They have only waited this long to put off suspicion.

Dak

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dakimbrell said:

The eternal optimist, I'm waiting a couple more weeks before I cancel any reservations. 

Dak

Same...wife and daughter planned a trip to Austin along with but if no live music venues and bars are open and happening then no sense in going to sit around the hotel.

The name is Kimbrell, not Kimball. 

It is not the number of models which is important, but those who attend and pay the fees.

My information says they need at least 400. 

Dak

Hi, today some of the East Coast states (example, New York) announced they will apply quarantine for 14 days all flights coming from Texas, this of course applies to all Nats attendees returning home. This also includes other spike states until further notice, surely other areas will follow suit.

Best regards

MikeN

Sure it is a lose lose situation but if there is a small nationals they might be able to break even rather than make a profit from it.  

I hear a lot of people say why they should cancel but What if we put our heads together and see how we could make this work in a responsible way?

27 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Hi, today some of the East Coast states (example, New York) announced they will apply quarantine for 14 days all flights coming from Texas, this of course applies to all Nats attendees returning home. This also includes other spike states until further notice, surely other areas will follow suit.

Best regards

MikeN

Interesting because for a few weeks Texas was quarantining anyone from Michigan due to our high numbers.