The Man from the Sky

Roktman

Took this kit out of the pile as it's something different. I don't have any Mad Max on my shelves...until now. This is a 1/4 scale Gyro Captain from Sean Kyle Studios. It came signed and with a numbered certificate of authenticity. Mine is #6.  
IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

It comes in about 5 parts. There are a bubble or two. But all in all a nicely done kit. One thing tho - there looks like a little blob of flash in the bag of parts. DON'T throw it out! It's actually his cigar!! LOL.
If I have to find one thing to critique it would be the auto-gyro's propeller. It looks to be cut out of thin sheet styrene. The cutting was a little uneven, but the main problem was I couldn't straighten it out. It had a little bend it it that was there to stay. It was no problem at all to cut a new one out of slightly thicker styrene, making both blades the same.
The sculpt is a very good likeness of the actor Bruce Spence.  I started out by priming, and then started laying in the base coat. There were a few images online that I thought made him have a pasty appearance. So the paint went on a little light. Later on I saw other images that showed him with more "color."  I'll address that later.
IMG_0751.jpg

While that was drying, I turned my attention to the propeller. As was said it was shaped a little wonky, but the big problem was the curve in the styrene.  I was no problem to draw and cut out another.
IMG_0753.jpg

Turning back to the bust I added a little more depth to the colors, tanned him up and gave the engine base a metallic shine.
IMG_0754.jpg

Then I decided that the craft would have minimal care, and after seeing a how to about busted up metal I tried that on the engine. The other thing I was going to do was paint a nice wood grain on the propeller. But I found one image that showed it well, and no wood grain. It was colored black and a dark red. So that's the way I went. A little gloss to the goggles, and eyes and I was done. Thanks for looking.
IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...