Revell, 1/80, Northrup Scorpion, circa 1955

Ron Bell

This is the 1955 Revell 1/80 Northrup Scorpion. Always liked the look of this plane. For as old as it is, it went together pretty well. All I did was remove the decal locators. The panel lines were finely engraved, so I left them. The kit decals were badly yellowed, so I could only use a few of them, so the markings are whatever I was able to cobble together from my extras. I found the little scorpion decal in my stash. I figured it would look good and it does, at least I think so.

IMG_20200421_172213.jpg

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200421172312486_COVER.jpg

IMG_20200421_172239.jpg

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200421172335228_COVER.jpg

• Like 1

Wild Bill,

Yeah, remember this is 1/80th scale. That's even smaller than 1/72 and it's still almost as large as a 1/55th scale F-94C I have done. Big airplane it was indeed. 

Nice, colorful build Ron! Did you do anything to add to it besides the markings? It looks surprisingly accurate for a 50s release, right down to including the exhaust deflectors and the thin profile to the main wheels.

Gil :smiley16:

Nope. This is it OOTB. I did screw up, however. I thought it might be a tail-sitter, so I was careful to make sure it sat on it's nose, only to find when it was too late that it just barely settled on its butt. Should have added weight to the nose. You can just see the clear sprue prop rod in the rear view photo by the exhausts. Oh, and that "orange" is actually Tester's Ford Engine Red applied over a white undercoat. Maybe more coats would have deepened it, but then there would have been serious paint buildup. 

That F-89 was among the first few kits I built starting around 1955. Sure enough. I do remember my folks giving me the kit. It really looks great Ron!  Keep up the good work!

Mark