1/72, British Improvise APC, Dublin, 1916

Ron Bell

During the Easter Rebellion in 1916, the British Army employed a group of improvised APCs made out of railroad engine parts mounted on a truck chassis with improvised armor for the cab, engine and drive train. The cylinder on the rear is actually four railroad engine smoke boxes bolted together with the door on the rear most one functioning as the entry hatch. They then cut holes in the sides so the soldiers inside could fire out of the vehicle without dismounting, but reports say they usually didn't due to the noise and smoke it produced inside. They also painted "dummy" holes to fool snipers. These vehicles were generically known as "Boilers" and took several forms. This is more of a representation of one of them rather than an exact replica. I started with a Roden London Bus kit for the frame, suspension and drive train. Then I scratch built everything above that. Note the workmanship is not particularly precise. It wasn't on the real vehicles either. Convenient coincidence with my skill level. 

IMG_20200418_123726.thumb.jpg.79dfbe63b33fd8eb8854a1f93ca4b556.jpg

IMG_20200418_123756.thumb.jpg.a724a177ec763fd5fbb31e9c50230c53.jpg

IMG_20200418_123814.thumb.jpg.ff3ead58276230fddea9d535dbc2d045.jpg

Great piece of history that I had not read of before.  Makes for a fine looking model that is for sure.  Thanks for sharing.

Nice job on a unique subject Ron. And thanks for the pics, I'll be posting them on Warwheels very shortly. 🍻

• 1 month later...

Wow! I never even heard of that vehicle! Amazing job! Way to go Ron! I've been thrilled to go though all your posts of small scale armor here on these boards; man, I can only hope to get more done to your level of excellence.