Display Case Question

TonyD

Just wondering what people are doing with regard to displaying your completed models.

Do you have a large case such that you can keep adding to it?

Do you have limited space and only put out your most recent models?

This is my situation and I've been having to put older models into storage (carefully packed in a box and stored in the attic).

Perhaps you donate them to a local library, institution or friend/relative that likes the particular subject?

Just curious!

Tony,

I have a large glass display case, 5 foot X 5 foot X 18 inches deep.  It is full. Crammed to the gills.  On occasion I have be able to free up space by donating to museums, when I can find a good home for them.  Most of my builds are for others, so displaying them is not a concern.  I have not resorted to storing or disposing of any of them, but that may be an option one of these days.

Mark

Thanks for your feedback, Mark. I'm over 60 and recently retired so find myself building more, which is a good thing, but then this 'problem' came up! I build purely for myself, but I might start looking for opportunities to donate. I don't want to toss them out but realistically, that will probably happen to them when I'm gone!

I have built in bookcase/shelves in my study which I call the war room.  Hard to keep a certain feline from patrolling on them.

I have a display case I got when a local store went belly-up. To me, the process of building is more important than the finished model, so after admiring my handiwork for a while, I need more space for a later effort. When the case gets full, I thin it out and donate the overflow to my club's local contest which has a silent auction of completed models. I get space and the club makes money. Win/Win.

You can also purchase store showcases in knock down kit form:

https://www.displays2go.com/Class/Display-Cases-1099

https://www.storesupply.com/c-495-display-cases.aspx

They may look expensive, but if you factor in all the costs of building one yourself, the money isn't too bad.

Cheers!

Ralph

8 hours ago, Ron Bell said:

...my club's local contest which has a silent auction of completed models. 

Ha - I like this idea! The Andromeda Strain notwithstanding, how does that usually go for your club? How many typically for auction? Who buys them?

We set it up in the venders' room so that people have access to it even while judging is going on. There are usually 15-20 models for sale. They don't go for a lot, but somewhere in the $5-20 range. Last year the club made over $250. The people that buy them are usually kids, people with kids, people that just like whatever the subject is but don't/can't build, modelers that need certain parts from that subject. We make periodic announcements about it during the show to stir up interest. 

I recently bought a stand alone shelving system but have not yet located a source of optically clear, lightweight acrylic for cutting and fitting as dust protection. I am currently checking what modular LED lighting is available for illumination. I have seen very nice , clear acrylic recently installed in store checkout isles during the Covid-19 panic; wish I knew who makes the sheet plastic.

A lot of that clear sheet plastic can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot. I picked some up some years ago to make a display case for a ship model I was building for my brother. I can't remember what department they are in, but someone should know. I think they even cut it to size for you too. Or did; before all this shut down happened.

I've seen plastic sheets in the window / storm door section of Menards as well as Home Depot but it appears thicker than the clear plastic sheeting I saw recently in food stores.

I may bring a micrometer to measure the stuff I have seen and compare thickness- though I admit I will get some odd stares from employees .

Now that i think of it.............McMaster Carr may have something- I'll need to check thicknesses compared to what i saw in stores.

https://www.mcmaster.com/acrylic

I decided long ago that to work and build on my models and then NOT be able to see them was a waste of my time, so I began building my own display cases. After 35years, I'm well into my 4th (and biggest) display case. They're designed simply, don't require any true "carpentry" skills, have lots of clear, open space for viewing, and the shelving is adjustable. The design can be "sized" to fit your needs...my smallest one designed to fit a narrow entrance hall, while the largest is designed specifically with shelves large enough to hold the 1/48 bombers I build. The cost ranges from $200-$400 each, depending mainly on how much plexiglass and how many glass shelves are used. Commercial display cases do look much nicer, but I've never seen any that hold very many models by comparison, especially if you build airplanes with things that stick out here and there and are sometimes tough to park close together. Anyway..below are the plans and pics of mine....anyone is welcome to them!

Basic plan...common to all of them...

IMG_0007.thumb.jpg.6d688f62bea95a26f1bcb3fdf51a4019.jpg

Pic of the last, largest one being built...that's a Monogram 1/48 B-29 sitting in there..

1335994065_005(2).thumb.JPG.e8b7d8ed198ec88af45ec0ff51698645.JPG

The two oldest (side by side)...each is about 3' wide by 18" deep by 6' tall...

657620490_003(4).thumb.JPG.cbbd1cdd360d5bb74710f93698bdbb79.JPG

Close up of the left one to show the plain molding used for the door frames...

713688284_003(6).thumb.JPG.37d2199a63cf348da24d93b2515b23a9.JPG

The smallest one, being only about 12" deep to fit the hallway...also the only one with a single, large door....the gate around it was to fend off the grandkids... 😉

2061692207_DenCase.jpg.e9f405ef98996a061013b98f8e7898f2.jpg

And the largest, with shelves that are 30" wide by 24" deep...note the 1/48 B-24, C-119, B-47, and PBY with room for other models around them...

101_8418.thumb.JPG.d6d6b6615c96a9b9cf7aaed310acb791.JPG

That last pic is a couple of years old and it's already 3/4 full now; so building another one will be needed within 2-3 years. But, this allows me to keep them all in view, take them in and out relatively easily, and keeps most of them generally dust free compared to any open shelves.  If I can build these anyone can! Hope this helps!

Gil :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

The plexiglass is screwed to the molding....so it does take some effort to drill the plexiglass (just use a slow speed), and to find very short screws...but most well stocked hardware stores have them! The molding is fastened together with "L" corner braces....so you learn to live with the doors not being absolutely flush against the case. The door hinges take an effort to find also, as they have to be no thicker than the thickness of the molding you use...but I've always been able to find them in the cabinet section.

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Thanks for all the comments. I love it how a simple question can generate such diverse responses! I got tips on buying and making cases to suggestions on thinning my collection!

On 4/14/2020 at 10:02 AM, TonyD said:

Thanks for all the comments. I love it how a simple question can generate such diverse responses! I got tips on buying and making cases to suggestions on thinning my collection!

Yep. Ask 5 modelers on how to do something and you will get at least 6 different answers.

I’m looking for some ready-made, wall-mounted, glass-fronted display cabinets. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...