soldering Iron recommendation sought

tomqvaxy

anyone have a favorite soldering iron with an on/ off switch? under 75 watts is fine - to be used for model electronics. a "soldering station" would also work; I just want an "off" feature.

(110v - US mains)

thanks

You can buy a foot operated switch into which you can plug any electrical device and - “voila” -  a pedal operated on-off switch. I started using it when I grew tired of having to put down either my airbrush or the model when painting in order to start or stop my compressor. Nick

I've had a Weller NE1010NA that I purchased from Amazon 2 years ago along with a set of tips that included a couple very fine screwdriver tips.  I've owned a couple Weller's over the years & always found them dependable.

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D29BY-ESD-Safe-Digital-Soldering/dp/B00OSM27T8/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=hakko&qid=1585680150&sr=8-5

We use this one for our business, be careful if price is too low (ebay) it is a counterfeit station.  Yes these are so high quality they are counterfeited alot in the marketplace.

We got ours locally through an industrial electronics store.

+1 on the Hakko unit.  I've worked corporate jet avionics for 30+ years, and most shops I've worked for either had them or upgraded to them--they are of a much better quality than a comparable Weller unit.

impressive endorsements for such a moderately priced unit. I like it and the American beauty model here:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007S20H0Q/?coliid=I1846ADLBVCWM0&colid=FEDCRO6LYELH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

i'm not getting hobby time for a couple of months so I have time to cogitate for a bit, as well as save my pennies!

thanks for all the inputs.

The Hakko has a huge line of replacement tips with specialized shapes and sizes and it heats instantly.  Here is the owners manualSoldering instructions.pdf

Manual has part level troubleshooting and replacement part list for everything built into the station.  Not engineered to be a throwaway tool.

Edited by Mister300