Anti-Slip Coating

Mark Aldrich

OK,

Has anyone tried this and had it look good? Is there any products out that address this issue? I built my Merkava and used table salt. Way too thick. My next attempt will be Model Master Liquid Glue and baking soda. Next Years Seattle's contest has a "MODELFY" and they chose the Merkava as their base vehicle. I have my ideas and this is just too good to pass up. I got my Academy Merkava II and know there is no texture. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

OK,

Has anyone tried this and had it look good? Is there any products out that address this issue? I built my Merkava and used table salt. Way too thick. My next attempt will be Model Master Liquid Glue and baking soda. Next Years Seattle's contest has a "MODELFY" and they chose the Merkava as their base vehicle. I have my ideas and this is just too good to pass up. I got my Academy Merkava II and know there is no texture. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

I've hand painted in Mr Surfacer 500 then stippled it with a cut down Testors paintbrush. I did small sections at a time. I've also had one sucess spraying Mr. Surfacer on a Tamiya Challenger II through my gravity feed airbrush. The Mr. Surfacer drys some as it's sprayed so you get a rough texture. But the next time I tried it didn't work as well so I've written the first sucess as beginers luck. I've also used on a Merkava III baking soda sprinkled on Future. This also was done a section at a time.

Mark:

Did kind of the same thing with paint. I underthined it so it still sprayed but not to the smooth finish, to a more dry and rough finish. Tooka few attempts but by dry spraying it, put some texture on it

Dave

Use American Accents Terra Cotta Spray Paint available from Wal-Mart or other Hardware stores. works great as anti-slip coating, just gotta mask of the parts you don't want to get it on.

AATcsTcsSpL.jpg

OK,

Mark

A friend sent me pictures of an in-service Merkava II and a Merkava IIIbaz, and the anti slip coating on those tanks looks like 24 or 36 grit--it is really coarse. What I want to try on my Academy Merkava IV is using the Liquitex Acrylic Gel with Stucco Texture. I picked up a jar of it at the local Hobby Lobby a few years back to use as concrete texture under figures--it looks good as concrete, and it might just work for the anti-slip coating on the Merkava. My friend uses N-scale ballast and white glue or wet paint, I may try that, too, and see which option looks better. The Liquitex option is probably the cleaner way to go--spead a thin coat on the areas that require it, then let dry. My only concern is that the Liquitex stuff is water based and might not stick too well to unpainted plastic, so I may have to prime first....

Ralph

The pics I have seen of the NAMER are the same way. VERY HEAVY looking anti-slip. All the ideas are great. I still have lots of time so I might practice some of these before commiting. The baking soda one seemed the opposite of table salt (too small, not enough definition). Though I do remember how textured it look on the mufflers I have done it to.

Mark

• 1 year later...

this may be a duplicate..

The anti slip on the Merkava II and IV is actually metal bits blasted into the finish. It is not affixed with paint. Fine sand might be the most realistic finish.

The small bits do hold dust from the operation area providing natural camoflague.

I can provide pictures on request from the Israeli Armored Museum.

Dr. Why, jeybbu@rit.edu Rochester, NY

Attached photo give an idea of scale.

post-812-1286219908_thumb.jpg

When Joe Koenig built his Merkava, he used micro-balloons for the non-skid surfaces. It's coarse enough and looks to scale. I believe he used white glue to hold it to the tank.

Mark,

The anti-slip coating is basically the same NoN-Skid coating that we used on the flight deck in the Navy. Try this; get some model railroad fine sand or graval and mix it in with your regular paint. paint it on the model and ta da you done.

Chris

This is the method I used on my AFV Club Stryker MGS recently. Still haven't gotten around to painting it yet.

I'm putting together a PowerPoint presentation to give at my club's meeting in February. If anyone's interested send me a message directly and I'll put you on the list.

Use American Accents Terra Cotta Spray Paint available from Wal-Mart or other Hardware stores. works great as anti-slip coating, just gotta mask of the parts you don't want to get it on.

AATcsTcsSpL.jpg