Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfman63

1/48 Tamiya Brewster Buffalo - VS-102

Recommended Posts

This build is the 1/48 scale Tamiya Brewster Buffalo. I will be building it as the US Navy F2A version. The aircraft will represent VS-201 that was aboard the USS Long Island AVG-1. I will be adding a resin engine from Quick Boost as well as Eduard photo etch set. Starting with the cockpit I detailed the side walls and then the seat and dash. The rear bulkhead had 2 injection areas. Not sure why they set it up for the front side instead of the back, but a little putty solved the issue. After the seat and dash were done I detailed the pedals and then assembled the cockpit into the fuselage and put the fuselage together. The fit was good and only required a couple of areas to be filled with putty. Next up will be the building and detailing of the engine.

 

You can see more photos in the build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-brewster-buffalo-vs-102/

 

dscn3376.jpg

 

dscn3378.jpg

 

dscn3382.jpg

 

dscn3384.jpg

 

dscn3386.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the Eduard photo etch. Looks Great! Did you apply a light wash to the cockpit walls?

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bradley25mm said:

Love the Eduard photo etch. Looks Great! Did you apply a light wash to the cockpit walls?

Chris

I do not use washes. I use pastel chalk for weathering, and yes it was used on the walls and seat . https://davidsscalemodels.com/tips-and-tricks/weathering-with-pastel-chalk/

Edited by Wolfman63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great start on an older kit that was W-A-Y ahead of its time!

 

Gil :smiley16:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great and am looking forward to seeing it completed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice cockpit work on that F2A. Keep up the good work!

 

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This week I used the Quickboost resin engine in place of the kit engine. The first thing I did was use 32awg wire to add the ignition wires. They were then painted dark brown. A 28awg wire was added to represent the hub oil line and some photo etch engine labels were added to the hub. The engine was detail painted. Finally, for the pushrods I used 32awg wire but did not strip off the black sleeving.  A quick light dusting with black chalk was added to give the engine a little grime. The engine was then mounted into the fuselage. For the cowl I had to trim down the upper and lower cowl ducts so I could add the photo etch grates as the resin engine is a little thicker than the kit engine.

The wings and main landing gear assembly were assembled which includes the floor of the cockpit. Next up is putting wings and stabilizers on and painting the basecoat.

 

You can see more photos and details from the start in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-brewster-buffalo-vs-102/

 

dscn3369.jpg

 

dscn3390.jpg

 

dscn3395.jpg

 

dscn3396.jpg

 

dscn3398.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This week’s update covers the final assembly as well as the completed build of the Buffalo representing VS-102. The fuselage was assembled and detailed. The prop was assembled and painted and the light gray was base coated. I applied the decals which were not bad. A little thicker than I like but they laid down and conformed to the surface well. The canopy was polished and painted as well as the underside windows. And this is negative side of this kit. The windows on the belly are a very poor fit. I filled the gaps with styrene which makes it less noticeable but once the gaps were filled it still sits a little under the surface of the fuselage.

dscn3403.jpg

dscn3406.jpg

dscn3407.jpg

Finally I added the antenna wire using EZ line fine. The large spinner for the prop does limit the engine details a little but I am happy with the overall aircraft. This kit was a nice kit to work with the exception of the underside windows.  Due to its small size the build moves quickly, especially with the current situation.  Thanks for following along.

See all the detail from start to finish at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-brewster-buffalo-vs-102/


dscn3412.jpg

dscn3416.jpg

dscn3419.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...