AVRO Lancastrian conversion

Ron Bell

This is the M+E Models conversion set mated to a 2nd generation Airfix Lancaster. You get a new nose and tail as well as a plug for the ventral turret and a page of decals. From what I've been able to gather, these used the paddle bladed props, so the ones in the kit shouldn't be used. I got a set of the other props from a friend. It sat on the shelf for a few years as the decals shattered when put in water. Then I discovered that the new Airfix Whitley kit comes with BOAC markings. I know they're not correct, but they look fine and what's more, they fit. Finish is SNJ polished with their polishing dust with the exception of the control surfaces. 

IMG_20200323_084238.jpg

IMG_20200323_084321.jpg

IMG_20200323_084254.jpg

IMG_20200323_084349.jpg

• Like 1

Now THAT'S an eye popping Lancaster! Your conversion work is impeccable as you cannot tell what you did where, and that's no small feat on such a shiny finish. And SNJ huh? Old school still does the job! I just hope Sophie's not sporting some silver fur in spots....:smiley2:

That's a very pretty build indeed Ron. Congrats!

Gil :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...

WildBill, overall, it fit fine. The plug for the ventral turret was the trickiest because you had to be vey precise in cutting the kit parts so the conversion parts would fit. The nose and tail were just straight cuts along a panel line.